Distributed Compiling

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
i think that item alone could have carried the keynote. anyone else as psyched about it as i am? and all that other cool progamming stuff i could only read about in the void of a live stream. live recompiling (did i get that right?). its all so kewl.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Originally posted by thuh Freak

i think that item alone could have carried the keynote. anyone else as psyched about it as i am? and all that other cool progamming stuff i could only read about in the void of a live stream. live recompiling (did i get that right?). its all so kewl.

Oh HELL Yes.

The Xcode was the part that had me just quivering... makes .NET look so... so... *20th century*.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Oh HELL Yes.

The Xcode was the part that had me just quivering... makes .NET look so... so... *20th century*.

slow down there - .NET has a LOT going for it that apple has not addressed - not to mention that there have been distributed compiling solutions on the PC for years (for one, see Xoreax Incredibuild)... none the less, XCode has me excited... lets see what else comes out of WWDC.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i was impressed with the "change code on the fly and recompile" while it's running type thing.

that was impressive.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Yeah, ditto. Compiling on-the-fly is way cool.

BTW, ditibuted compiling has been available for some time. It's called distcc (for gcc) and I've used it on my three powerbooks (two wallstreets and one Tibook) to get gentoo linux up and running fast. It's a daemon (background process) that listen to the network for compile jobs. You can set which hosts are used for the compile.

There's a law of diminishing returns (network overhead and all), but you get surprising;y good returns.

type 'distcc' into a search engine. Great stuff!
  • Reply 5 of 9
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    BTW2, speaking of gentoo, portage is coming to OSX (see the thread about it in the OSX forum), so distcc will REALLY be your friend!

Mmmm... PMG5 compile farms...

*drool*
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Yeah, I know distributed compiles are available on other platforms, but this is the first I've seen that's free *and* easy to set up. Nice.

The entire dynamic 'fix and compile' thing sent my little academic heart aflutter, since this is the sort of thing we've been eager to see for years, and *finally* someone's gone and done it in a system that doesn't cost several thousand per seat. Maybe, just maybe, we'll see widespread adoption of ideas and techniques that we in the ivory towers have been waiting for for years.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Yeah, I know distributed compiles are available on other platforms, but this is the first I've seen that's free *and* easy to set up. Nice.

The entire dynamic 'fix and compile' thing sent my little academic heart aflutter, since this is the sort of thing we've been eager to see for years, and *finally* someone's gone and done it in a system that doesn't cost several thousand per seat. Maybe, just maybe, we'll see widespread adoption of ideas and techniques that we in the ivory towers have been waiting for for years.

yea, this really is a kick-ass feature, however - this too has been available in a number of interpreted languages (some compatible with cocoa/obj-c) for quite a while... lets see how well it has been done with c/c++, obj-c, and obj-c++ - I could imagine that perfect execution (no pun intended) of this would be difficult...
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Definitely... which leads me to believe that they've been having fun under the hood. What fun, we've been enjoying speculating over. It could be as simple as ubiquitous dynamic code chunklets, or something less detail oriented. Personally I can't wait to kick the tires.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 1337_5L4Xx0R

Yeah, ditto. Compiling on-the-fly is way cool.

BTW, ditibuted compiling has been available for some time. It's called distcc (for gcc) and I've used it on my three powerbooks (two wallstreets and one Tibook) to get gentoo linux up and running fast. It's a daemon (background process) that listen to the network for compile jobs. You can set which hosts are used for the compile.

There's a law of diminishing returns (network overhead and all), but you get surprising;y good returns.

type 'distcc' into a search engine. Great stuff!

i was quite unaware of that. thank you. it was pretty easy to setup too. now, i wonder if i can set it up to work with project builder (i presume i can).