MWSF Question...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Hey guys, I'm in the market to buy a new PowerMac. Any good, reliable insights into new PowerMacs coming out at MWSF or perhaps, in Feb. if not at MWSF??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    No PowerMac introductions at MacWorld Expos any more.

Possibly in March or so.
  • Reply 2 of 37
    when did this come about?
  • Reply 3 of 37
    jcjc Posts: 342member
    steve is going to show off a powerbook with a superdrive.
  • Reply 4 of 37
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Chucker:

<strong>No PowerMac introductions at MacWorld Expos any more.

Possibly in March or so.</strong><hr></blockquote>

what makes you think that?
  • Reply 5 of 37
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Some new (version number I mean) iApps will be introduced.

Some news about their "Pro" Software

Revised iMac on the show while quietly update eMacs as well.

NO new Power(sh!tty)Mac.
  • Reply 6 of 37
    well, if there are no new PowerMacs at MWSF...should I wait till sometime in March for a revised version or just take the plunge now?
  • Reply 7 of 37
    xypexype Posts: 672member
    [quote]Originally posted by nauf:

<strong>well, if there are no new PowerMacs at MWSF...should I wait till sometime in March for a revised version or just take the plunge now?</strong><hr></blockquote>

If you can wait - you better wait.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    If you can wait then wait. If you can't wait then buy. The market moves along so quickly right now that there is always going to be something coming just down the line so it is best just to buy when you need it.

The exception to that is probably if you can utilise a 64-bit chip. If you could afford to wait a year I'd sugget you do that if you actually need a 64 bit processor.
  • Reply 9 of 37
    naufnauf Posts: 12member
    what exactly would someone need with a 64-bit processor? I'm sure gaming would utilize it but what about designers etc? what are the benefits for processing data in 64-bit chunks? I understand things can move faster, but 100% fast than the 32-bit processor counterparts??
  • Reply 10 of 37

<strong>what exactly would someone need with a 64-bit processor? I'm sure gaming would utilize it but what about designers etc? what are the benefits for processing data in 64-bit chunks? I understand things can move faster, but 100% fast than the 32-bit processor counterparts??</strong><hr></blockquote>

No, not 100% faster. 64 bit is used when you need to calculate with extra precision (3D graphics, video editing/production) for DTP, Photoshop, vector stuff and the occasional game or multimedia it wont bring you much. Scientific calculations more or less need 64bit, normal usage doesn't need it.

And as long as you don't have software that actually uses 64 bit (3d, video) the speed difference wont be noticeable.
  • Reply 11 of 37
    thanks xype, I was wondering about that
  • Reply 12 of 37
    thanks xype, I was wondering about that
  • Reply 13 of 37

<strong>thanks xype, I was wondering about that</strong><hr></blockquote>

you're welcome!
  • Reply 14 of 37
    nauf, one other thing that folks kinda missed. The 64-bit chip is supposedly designed with some serious throughput (900MHz bus), which really helps PPC processors. Now there are also rumors that Moto will come out with a chip to use a 200MHz bus (less than one quarter the bus speed of the 64-bit chip, but still greater than the current 167MHz current high end).

I also agree with what Chucker said, 'not until March' (at the earliest).

The bottom line is: consider what you're going to use the new Mac for (in the present, and a year or two down the line). Also consider if you can get by without it for 6 to 9 months. If you need a new machine, heck ... go for it. If not, or your needs can't be met by the current boxes, then wait. Me, I'm waiting.
  • Reply 15 of 37
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

what makes you think that?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Previous expo history MWNY01, MWSF2002, MWNY2002 ... and schedules.
  • Reply 16 of 37
    [quote]Originally posted by MacJedai:

<strong>

Previous expo history MWNY01, MWSF2002, MWNY2002 ... and schedules.</strong><hr></blockquote>

MWNY 01 had the Quicksilvers.
  • Reply 17 of 37
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    One more thing regarding 64bit cpu

If Apple releases the 64bit PPC970 based powermac. Of course you can buy it.

However, if you want to take the maxium advantage of the hardware......prepare to spend thousands of dollars to upgrade your software :eek:

[ 11-28-2002: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>
  • Reply 18 of 37
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

MWNY 01 had the Quicksilvers.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I honestly forgot about that one. I knew that they came out with a new tower at MWSF2001, because I was there, and disappointed because no DDR RAM (didn't know much about BIUs back then). And I remembered that MWNY2001 was a bust because SJ was overheard saying something like 'never again, we'll never be caught unprepared again' (paraphrasing because I don't remember the quote exactly). You sure the release didn't occure shortly thereafter?

Anyways, the past 2 MWs started a pattern, and that was my point. Not trying to argue. Just get my memory set straight (next to impossible, I know)
  • Reply 19 of 37
    kurtkurt Posts: 225member
    [quote]Originally posted by Leonis:

<strong>

NO new Power(sh!tty)Mac.</strong><hr></blockquote>

This positive note comes to you from the AI Community Webmaster. No wonder this forum seems so anti-Mac anymore. Even someone with enough interest in being the AI Community Webmaster (and whatever that entails) has such a negative attitude. I need to stop visiting here so much.
  • Reply 20 of 37
    [quote]Originally posted by MacJedai:

<strong>

You sure the release didn't occure shortly thereafter?

Anyways, the past 2 MWs started a pattern, and that was my point. Not trying to argue. Just get my memory set straight (next to impossible, I know)</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm 98% sure they were released at MWNY.

And I know you're not trying to argue. Don't worry about it