Renderman comes to mac

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I was watching the keynote video and noticed a familiar looking icon in the dock....as they demoed luxology apps i noticed the pixar renderman logo right next to it.. It's time for the mac 3D era

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    yeah, they actually said renderman on the Mac was faster than on the PC.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    I still have my original Renderman software for Mac from waaaaay back when. I saw the Renderman icon and reference in the video... someone isn't talking, and they should be
  • Reply 3 of 9
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    The G5 addresses exactly what 3D and CADD platforms need out of a platform. Not only Renderman, but Maya, Form Z, VectorWorks, and potential or "bubble" apps like AutoCAD or Microstation look a lot better on a Mac now.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    I think I saw Renderman on the G5 video on Apples site toward the end.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    I also still have my copies of MacRenderMan, Glimpse, etc. ...

I got this from CGTalk.com...

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71507

The gist of it is this:

Here's the scoop, so far.

We have been benchmarking the G5 and are impressed with it. PRMan performs impressively on this machine and so we're committed to making our software available there.

We're exploring timing with Apple and our customers but since we don't intend to support the G4, the earliest formal announcement of RenderMan products will await G5 availability in August.

We will most likely enter beta on RenderMan Pro Server 11.5 for the Mac platform in August, depending again on G5 availability. Beta will be limited to existing customers.

We are measuring interest in Pixar's RenderMan Products. If you are interested in RenderMan products for Mac, please register your interest by emailing [email protected] and make sure the subject line reads: RenderMan for Mac.

The pixlet codec mentioned at WWDC is not a Pixar product. Inquiries should be directed to Apple.

Sweet!

Now if Apple could buy Maya from A|w, and get Pixar to license the RenderMan stuff to them for inclusion as Mayas default renderer (fully integrated, of course)...

SWEET!

;^p
  • Reply 6 of 9
    I kind of thought the point of renderman was not to be a default renderer for something like Maya.

Anyhow, that was very informative, thanks for posting it. So RM on the mac again... never thought I'd see the day.

*sniffle*

No, i just... I just have something in my eye...
  • Reply 7 of 9
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Is Renderman just the renderer? What does Pixar use for modeling/animation? Maya Unlimited? Oh, and that WILL be coming to mac, now with the G5 and everything.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Is Renderman just the renderer? What does Pixar use for modeling/animation? Maya Unlimited? Oh, and that WILL be coming to mac, now with the G5 and everything.

RenderMan is 'just the renderer'... But it is actually THE renderer of choice for the vast majority of 3d you see in the theatres...

Last I heard, Pixar uses Maya for modeling, and I think something proprietary for animation...

As for the 'WILL', there is the standard disclaimer involving a random number of chicks and a premature hatching movement...

But I think it will come to be, probably for sale come 2004...

Let's see, I need at LEAST US$6,600.00 to cover PRMan Pro Server v11.5 & RAT v5.5 (or will it be v6.0 then?!?); and I wonder if the intial license still just covers a single CPU, with additional licenses needed for aditional CPUs (including the second CPU in a dual G5...)

Cost goes up REAL fast if that is the situation...!

;^p
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

I kind of thought the point of renderman was not to be a default renderer for something like Maya.

Anyhow, that was very informative, thanks for posting it. So RM on the mac again... never thought I'd see the day.

*sniffle*

No, i just... I just have something in my eye...

re: default renderer

I have heard that Pixar doesn't want to be known for their software, but would rather be known for their movies...

So, they just might move the products to another distributor...?

Maybe someone who is looking to get into the Hollywood software biz...?

Maybe a company that already has a high-profile connection to Pixar...

[Pure speculation on my part...!]

I would love to see Apple take over Renderman, and then buy Maya from A|w/SGI...

And then comes the default renderer part of the show...

[/Pure speculation on my part...!]

;^p