Suggestion for AUSTRALIAN Power Mac G5 buyers...

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
The Australian Apple Store has not yet updated their pricing for the new models, but have instead placed a "register your interest" form.

http://www.asia.apple.com:81/interest/au/

To give the message that we local residents are absolutely sick of being screwed on the pricing, especially with the vastly improved exchange rate, I suggest the following:

Register your interest to be notified when they will be available, and in the optional contact field, type:

"Parity pricing"

If enough of use do that, hopefully they'll get the message we're not prepared to pay through the nose to get a product that will in any case be delivered much later than the US.

Good idea?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    frank_tfrank_t Posts: 428member
    The PowerMacs is where they make most of there money so your going to need to pay through the nose as they know that %90 of the buyers of these macs are Pro people with alot of money to burn...but good luck......i am Australian but not going to get a new mac with this MDD...but i did wish the iPods would be cheaper and with the exchange rate what it is....they could do better.

But if it doesn't happen you know why.

Frank_t
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Here are the Australian prices (in AUD). Obtained from a reseller this morning.

M9020X/A PMG5 1.6G/256/80/SuperDrive $3599 inc GST $3271.82 ex GST

M9031X/A PMG5 1.8G/512/160/SuperDrive $4499 inc GST $4090 ex GST

M9032X/A PMG5 Dual 2.0G/512/160/SuperDrive $5599 inc GST $5090 ex GST

Not as bad as I thought actually.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    michaelbmichaelb Posts: 242member
    Going by today's exchange rate (and it'll probably rise to 0.70 by the time these things ship, making them even less), a parity price would be:

2999 / 0.6647 * 1.1 = $4963 inc GST.

Would a pricepoint of $4,999 have killed them?

The psychological value of "pay less than $5K for a kick ass machine" could have sold more machines maybe.

Still, as you say, could be worse. Being ripped off $600 is not quite as bad as it's been in the past.

However, I might still get someone coming from the US to bring me one though if it looks like they're going to be later than September. (Anyone else want one?)