Why aren't they all duals?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Sorry to be a moaning faced git, but if the G5 controller is optimised for dual processors why isn't the entire line-up dual?

According to SpecInt, the P4 and Xeon out perform the single G5 machine. He then went on to say that the G5 was designed to be used in SMP. So why are two thirds of the range single processors? I thought Steve kinda shot himself in the foot when he mentioned that in the presentation.

The line-up is 1.6GHz, 1.8GHz and effectively 4.0GHz. That's a mighty jump! I said I would never buy anything but the entry level machine from now on, but that's a big difference in processing power! Are the entry level and mid-range machines limited to a single processor so that the top-end machine looks even more powerful/great value for money?

How will the 1.8GHz G5 compare to the Dual 1.25GHz G4 that it replaces?

Programmer?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Because now you'll be incentivized to buy the top-end model.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    o and ao and a Posts: 579member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiah

Sorry to be a moaning faced git, but if the G5 controller is optimised for dual processors why isn't the entire line-up dual?

According to SpecInt, the P4 and Xeon out perform the single G5 machine. He then went on to say that the G5 was designed to be used in SMP. So why are two thirds of the range single processors? I thought Steve kinda shot himself in the foot when he mentioned that in the presentation.

The line-up is 1.6GHz, 1.8GHz and effectively 4.0GHz. That's a mighty jump! I said I would never buy anything but the entry level machine from now on, but that's a big difference in processing power! Are the entry level and mid-range machines limited to a single processor so that the top-end machine looks even more powerful/great value for money?

How will the 1.8GHz G5 compare to the Dual 1.25GHz G4 that it replaces?

Programmer?

Well the g5 tears apart the g4. I think the 1.6 is faster than the old top of the line. The new mobo really makes a difference.

If you think about it the lowend machine really sucks in terms of bang for buck. 400 bucks more and u get 200mhz in cpu speed 100mhz in bus speed, pci-x slots, twice the ram and twice the hd space.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Duals were used to make pro machines more appealing, because profit margins are nice and thick on the pro machines. Prior to the G5, a dual processor G4 was necessary to justify the extra cost vs. an iMac (considering the iMac includes a monitor, and the same type of processor). But now, a single 1.6 GHz G5 rips apart any iMac, so a dual isn't needed to distance the PowerMac from the iMac. Once the other computers get G5s, we'll see duals in more of the PowerMacs. And frankly, Apple knew that people would pay plenty even for a single processor machine, and if they made the dual $3k, they'd pay $3k for the dual. If they made the middle a dual 1.8 GHz, many people would just buy that instead, and Apple would make a couple hundred dollars less per machine. Don't worry, I have a feeling all the PowerMacs will be duals within a year. These are pro machines, and they are certainly worthy of across-the-board dual processors.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    sagesage Posts: 3member
    i think it's amazing that you can get a single 1.8 for 2400 but for only 600 more you get an extra cpu AND an extra 200MHz on each.... The $3000 one looks amazing to me, I just wish that I could have a QuadroFX and dual 2.5's instead...
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

why isn't the entire line-up dual?

Because...

Quote:

I said I would never buy anything but the entry level machine from now on, but...

• Reply 6 of 6
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Just because the entry model should cost $2k, rather than $2.5k.