So PowerMac G5 is like Cube?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I feel that G5 PowerMac is just like updated Cube. Better expandability, more processor power and better graphics card. Only one dvd... drive and only two hard disk etc...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Stratosfear

I feel that G5 PowerMac is just like updated Cube. Better expandability, more processor power and better graphics card. Only one dvd... drive and only two hard disk etc...

Well there is place for two SATA HD (with dual channel 150 MB:sec avalaible for each HD) , there is superdrive (a feature that did not exist at the time of the cube), three PCI -X slots , 8 dimm slots, and AGP 8X pro (75 watts power supply) full lenght cards (and not the short one like the cube).

add Gigabit ethernet (there is nothing faster at this time), both FW (400 : one at the front to connect your camera) FW (800) : to connect fast HD for example, USB 2 and USB 1 (via the keyboard), digital and analogical audio (support of 5.1 systems). Airport extreme ready, bluetooth ready, two video connector wich allow you to connect two screens.

Some people will be sad that there is only one optical bay, but most people will find that one superdrive is enough. Two HD is not a very big number ,but you can store up to 500 GB of storage, each channel is independant so this system is as efficient as a dual channel SCSI 160 card. You can connect external HD with the firewire 800 with goods performances, unlike firewere 400 or usb 2. For the crazy amator of HD , you can connect an X serve via a Fiber channel PCI card.

The PCI X cards really give you a lot more, than what could delivered the old PCI. ATA cards and UW SCSI card where buyed very often in the previous G4 tower : they are useless in the new one.

I don't think many people will add more than one PCI X card in the tower G5 powermac. In my old G3 333, i have three PCI cards : one UW , one ethernet 100, and one video proformance 3. All these features already exist in the G5 tower : there is nothing above gigabit ethernet (perhaps dual channel, but who care), an AGP 8x pro video card, or SATA disk (2* 150 mo/s compared to one 40 mo/s for my UW card).

In others ways none (perhaps one) of my mac have empty DIMM slots. Even 4 slots is an improvement compared to my G4 533, and eight slots rocks.