G4 Dual 1.25 vs G5 Single 1.6?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
What sort of performance difference will we see between the two, and who would be faster?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    The G5
  • Reply 2 of 30
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    The G5 is better, both because of its processor/bus speeds, but even more so because of the fact that it is "futureproofed", and includes all the new technologies (USB 2.0, AGP 8X, etc.) But if it were my decision, I'd drop that extra $400 and move up to the 1.8 GHz model, because it has faster RAM, an hard drive TWICE the size, and more RAM is included.

GO WITH THE 1.8 G5.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Also the float point unit in G5 is much faster (and G5 has two vs 1 in G4)....
  • Reply 4 of 30
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    I eagerly await benches between the lowend 1.6 G5 and the previouslt top end 1.42 GHZ G4 dual.

Keep the stock graphics cards in them and the same amount of ram.

I want to see how much more we are getting with the G5.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    The G5 is certainly faster in nearly all applications excepting may be (but i am not sure due to the big memory starvation of the dual G4) SMP altivec stuff.

Some rumors said that the G5 1,6 is as efficient than the dual 1,42 ghz.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    thttht Posts: 5,444member
    A PowerMac G4 buys you 2+ months and saves you $400. If you plan on replacing your machine in a short amount of time, say 1 to 2 years, buy the cheaper machine. If you plan to keep it for 3+ years, buy the fastest machine you can afford.
  • Reply 7 of 30
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    As and education institution we can get the low end G5 for $1619 or the Dual 1.25 G5 for $1443. In my mind there is no questions. The G5.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Moving to CH.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by anand

As and education institution we can get the low end G5 for $1619 or the Dual 1.25 G5 for $1443. In my mind there is no questions. The G5.

I'm so thankful my mom is a teacher...I got Jaguar free, and I'll get about $200 total off my next hardware purchase.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

The G5 is better, both because of its processor/bus speeds, but even more so because of the fact that it is "futureproofed", and includes all the new technologies (USB 2.0, AGP 8X, etc.) But if it were my decision, I'd drop that extra $400 and move up to the 1.8 GHz model, because it has faster RAM, an hard drive TWICE the size, and more RAM is included.

GO WITH THE 1.8 G5.

Doesn't the 1.8 have 8 RAM slots (versus 4 on the 1.6)?
  • Reply 11 of 30
    contemptcontempt Posts: 43member
    Also remember that Panther will be optimized for the G5 so that'll make a huge difference in speeds. I almost believe you won't see too much real world application speed differences between the dual 1.25 and a single 1.6. they're definitely priced similarily.
  • Reply 12 of 30
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BobtheTomato

Doesn't the 1.8 have 8 RAM slots (versus 4 on the 1.6)?

Yes 8 ram slots and PCI-X slots, 160 gb HD , 512 MB of ram in two slots. Contrary of what i said in another post , you must have a pair of DIMM DDRAM : 2 *128 MB ram, 2*256, 2*512 or 2 * 1 GB. but you can have a pair of 256 ddr ram and a pair of 512 mb ram if you like.
  • Reply 13 of 30
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    For what its worth:

The low end G5 should be very upgradable for quite a while. The G4's bus is pretty much maxed out and has little upgrade potential. Faster video cards and CPUs will do little good. I'd go with the G5 at this point and a processor or video upgrade in a couple years.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    yaroyaro Posts: 2member
    Haha,

I wish they will fabricate an upgrade G5 motherboard for the Quicksilvers.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by THT

A PowerMac G4 buys you 2+ months...<snip>

You haven't gone through the checkout with a dual 1.25 at the Apple Store, eh?

Est. Ship: 3-4 weeks
  • Reply 16 of 30
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

GO WITH THE 1.8 G5.

You mean all the *old* technologies, don't you? USB 2.0 and AGP 8X have been out for quite some time now in the rest of the computing world. Your comment is still correct, that they represent better opportunities to upgrade during the life cycle of the machine. Still, the 1.25 GHz G4 is at a price point that may well attract customers.
  • Reply 17 of 30
    anandanand Posts: 285member
    Is the USB 2.0 really 2.0 or is it just the old renamed USB 1.1.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    Quote:

Originally posted by anand

Is the USB 2.0 really 2.0 or is it just the old renamed USB 1.1.

Actually, the USB group has gone through some slight of hand name changes to confuse everyone. USB 2.0 is now called highspeed USB or some such thing. The name change has apparently caused substantial confusion in the (PC) retail market not only for customers, but for sales people, too.
  • Reply 19 of 30
    rmcfrmcf Posts: 4member
    USB 2.0 is backward compatible with USB 1.1
  • Reply 20 of 30
    isegwayisegway Posts: 133member
    How were the dual processors configured on the old dual G4? Are they on the same motherboard? Anyone know how they are configued on the G5?