Possbile slower chips for iMacs, Powerbooks, etc.?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I was just thinking when we initially heard of the 970, it was listed in 1.4, 1.6, and 1.8 configs. Now we all know they're being released as 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0. Could it be that Apple is actually receiving 1.4s and maybe lower for an eventual surprise release of new iMacs and Powerbooks, etc.?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    It sounds more like IBM's initial estimates were conservative and the resulting chips are much faster as a result. I wouldn't expect slower chips to show up and they may not have enough production "duds" to ship slower ones in any sort of quantity.

The other machines besides the PowerMacs were never quite as data starved since they are all single processor machines. If they now produced a 1.25 GHz iMac/eMac with L3 cache you would see a definite increase in performance gain. The PowerBooks already had the L3 cache so the boost wouldn't be quite as drastic. A new chip for the iBook would be kinda nice now though. Perhaps give it the processor from the 12" PowerBook?
  • Reply 2 of 2
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    The thing is, the G5 is the 1GHZ/1.2GHZ range uses less power than a G4, possibly 2-3 watts more. Nothing significant. So I think the PowerBook will migrate in that direction and hopefully soon.