And the hits just keep on coming!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Originally posted by Messiah, shortly before he was laughed off the boards. But who had the last laugh?

Quote:

I don't think we'll see huge clock speed increases for the initial launch of the 970. Right now Apple will be trying to figure out how SLOW a clock speed they can get away with.

They'll still want to make an impact, and they'll still want every Apple user and potential switcher tripping over each other to get hold of the new machines. But, it makes sense to build a buffer, so that if IBM should run into trouble further down the line Apple can keep releasing incremental speed bumps. If Apple can achieve the same level of hype with a 1.4GHz 970, then why announce the 2.5Ghz right now?

Apple are in the perfect position that they can hold technology back, because they have a hardware monopoly. This is exactly the reason why cloning was terminated. It really doesn't matter what they release, it's going to be faster than anything else that's available in the marketplace, and people will buy them up.

Why sell a 1.8GHz 970 as the "fast" machine when you can sell it first as the "fastest" machine, then again as the "faster" machine and then finally once more as the "fast" machine?

If Apple are smart (which let's face it they are - they've been selling us underpowered machines for ages), they'll be putting together a tempting "package". We might see "new" features such as AGP 8x, PCI-X, SATA. After the first few seconds of disappointment, we'll say to ourselves "well there are a whole lot of other cool technologies in there, and a 1.8GHz 970 is going to kick ass." And all the time Apple will be stockpiling the 2.5GHz+ parts.

Face it people, Apple are going to take the p!ss out off us again - simply because they can - there is no competition in the market. SJ must thank God every morning for OS X.

Please discuss..."

So did they release the 2.5GHz part you were all creaming your pants over? No. You don't stand on stage and tell everyone that next year you'll be at 3GHz, unless you have something more powerful than the 2GHz in the bag already. They did exactly what I said they would. They put together a tempting package, and you all want one. Now be good little Apple fanatics and get your credit cards out!

Quote:

Apple will release the 970 as the top end machine, even although the 970 included is actually the slowest they have available. It will blow away the G4, and everyone will scramble to buy one. Just like you did when the G4 Yikes! replaced the G3.

They will then release 10.3, but it will not be a free upgrade as others have suggested. It will be sold as "optimized for 970", and pitched as an upgrade that will significantly increase the speed of the 970s out there, and everyone will scramble to buy it. Just like you did with Jaguar.

New machines will ship with the faster 970s and 10.3 installed, whilst your shiny new 970 plummets in value before your very eyes. Suddenly you're left with Yikes! MK II, and you've also forked out for a software "upgrade" that everybody else is getting for free.

SHAFTED!!!

That's the way anybody running a business would do it...

Is the 1.6GHz not a Yikes Mk II? Does it not have a different motherboard, with PCI instead of PCI-X? Does it not use the slower memory? Again, bang on the money!

Quote:

That's the way to run a business if you have a monopoly.

I don't see anybody else selling machines that run Mac OS 9/X out of the box

I still don't see anybody. But I see you all lusting after the G5...

Quote:

So, if Apple announced the availability of a 1.4GHz 970 tomorrow, but it didn't have 10.3 pre installed, and you wouldn't be able to take full advantage of the 970, you wouldn't buy it? Even with everyone raving about how it wiped the floor with the G4, you still wouldn't buy it?

And if they then announced the availability of 10.3, which offered you a major leap in productivity, you wouldn't be tempted to buy 10.3?

And when the next generation of 970 were released shortly afterward, and your "ultimate" machine became the "fast" machine, you wouldn't be pissed off?

Okay!

The launch of the 970 is going to be an exciting time for us all, the dawn of a new age for Mac users (I hope). Once again, we're going to be able to blow away PCs, with a CPU that should scale quickly. Apple would be stupid not to milk us for every penny. If they can get us to pay for something twice, then they would be foolish not to do so.

Of course it doesn't feel like you're getting shafted at the time, because you have this shiny new state of the art piece of hardware, or this miraculous new piece of software that increases the speed of your machine as if by magic.

Happened with the early releases of OS X, and we scrambled to buy 10.2 when it appeared on the shelves. 10.2 was the first release of OS X that was usable, but we all still ran the beta and got excited when 10.1 was released.

Again spot on the money! Do you see a pattern emerging here?

They've announced the G5, but it won't ship with Jaguar. Apple's website states it runs a special version of 10.2. So you're all going to buy the Rev. A build, and then fork out again for Panther. You're all blinded by the King's new clothes (as usual).

Quote:

I hope they don't pull that sh*t again, where the entry level machine is a stripped down version, or entirely different architecture to the rest of the family.

A lot of people I know fell foul of Yikes! or those 466MHz & 533MHz vs. 667MHz & 733MHz machines.

I'd hate for people to buy the first revision 970, only for them to find out it was a stop gap machine.

Again, just look at the specs of the 1.6GHz, and the other machines and spot the differences.

Quote:

1. Running 32bit software on 64bit 970 is not taking full advantage of it. If it were, nobody would bother writing 64bit software.

2. I'm aware that Yikes! featured a G4 CPU, mounted on a G3 motherboard by means of a ZIF socket. My point is that Yikes! was a stop gap machine. The memory bandwidth was significantly less than the Sawtooth counterparts. With Yikes! you simply couldn't upgrade the components that were lacking. And you couldn't get up to speed by simply installing a new version of the OS. This is where your comparison falls down.

3. It sounds like you know an awful lot about an as yet unannounced machine, perhaps you'd like to share the specs with us? What speeds will the CPU debut? What speed will the FSB be? What architecture will the board feature? Will the entire family use the same speed of RAM? Or will there be a difference like the current machines? I for one would like to know. There were rumours that Apple had ordered two different types of motherboard, one a single CPU design and the the other a dual. Is this true, and if so where do these motherboards fit into the family?

4. As for the shafting, compare what you pay for a new 970 + 10.3 to a rev. b release that ships with 10.3 pre-installed. I would suggest to you, that you pay a premium for being an early adopter, even although you won't be able to take full advantage of the hardware for that time.

I hope I'm wrong. I hope Apple do the right thing and give all 970 owners a free upgrade to 10.3 when it's available. But when you've bought as much Apple kit as I have, and witnessed as many product launches as I have, you start to grow a little sceptical. The funny thing is, after all the Apple kit I've bought, I've never once qualified for the "Up To Date" programme.

Jesus, I used to sell Apple kit to suckers like you everyday! Nothing has changed since the days of the Quadra, that's how I knew this would happen. If I claimed to have insider knowledge (which I don't have anymore), and was this accurate, you'd all be all over me like I was the best insider ever!

And don't bother replying - I really couldn't give a shit.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    After you're done jerking yourself off, please clean your mess off the keyboard. This hinders its performance and may possibly void any applicable warranties.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Yawn.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiah

Face it people, Apple are going to take the p!ss out off us again

Did Apple take the piss out of us? No.

The G5 is running Jaguar.

Panther isn't ready.

You're weird.

It's funny. I remember your post originally, and it was just common sense. There was nothing to get excited about then or now. But after seeing your comments here I have to say it's too bad your ego is so overblown.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    gilschgilsch Posts: 1,995member
    Quote:

You gave enough of a shit to make yourself look like an ass and waste your time writing that post.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    kroehlkroehl Posts: 164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiah, shortly before he was laughed off the boards. But who had the last laugh?

Ok, I won't.

..... oh, erhm, what? never mind....
  • Reply 6 of 6
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    More infrequent posting will make you look stupid less often.