Apple Icon Quality Declining?

ariari
Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple Icon Quality Decling?

Is it just me or as the icon quality in Mac OS X decreased steadily? I could not help but notice this when looking over the fit and finish (or lack there of) of Panther. Granted, it is an alpha, but Jaguar exhibits some of the same disappoints. In the time of the public beta and 10.0 the icons exhibited an excellent photo-realistic quality. The new icons do not share this - they look much more "cartoon-ish" a la XP. Consider the new Finder icon, for example. It looks awful. Or the various device icons for iSync.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    The 'new' iChat icon is fugly. It's all part of the new style for speed program Apple is implementing, giving up style for preciousess speed.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    I agree the new Finder icon isn't that great.

I can't say I know what you guys are talking about regarding the rest, though. The new ichat icon looks exactly the same. It just has a camera instead of an exclamation mark. How fugly can it be?
  • Reply 3 of 31
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    I have always have alwys hated the finder's icon. I think, I hope, I pray that this one for Panther is a proxy for anew meaningful one. Nostalgia be damned! The iChat icon has always been sort of wonky, like they weren't sure what to do with the requisite AIM running man. Otherwise, I wouldn't judge the Panther stuff. It's way too early for them to concern themselves with details like that. 10.0 had pretty sucky icons, mostly derived from OpenStep/Rhapsody which looked totally out of place, but they were changed at the last minute.

[added] While we're ranting about icons, I hope they do something with the silly looking Aqua folder by the time Panther is released.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    The finder icon [also IMO] is ugly. The icon that comes on rad-e8's CandyBar package is WAY better.
  • Reply 5 of 31
    nanonano Posts: 179member
    NO is not
  • Reply 6 of 31
    sushiismsushiism Posts: 131member
    who cares about icons when we have that horrible brushed metal finder with its fat borders to worry about At least my poor icons can easily be changed.

I'm at such a confused time os wise, ive been looking at old screenshots of os9 and drooling over the sexy pixely icons and kinky pixel text gah im losing it
  • Reply 7 of 31
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    I like the current Finder icon much better than the new one, which looks absolutely horrible in my opinion.

In addition, the iChat AV icon looks like a two minute job in Photoshop with an old PSD. The icon is glaringly white, not transparent at all, and not angled correctly with the bubble. The old icon said to me "It's AIM, with Appleness." The new icon says "100K 4T M3H, 1 C4N 5T34L J00 1C0NZ!" It just sucks.
  • Reply 8 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by badtz

The icon that comes on rad-e8's CandyBar package is WAY better.

Ugh! The Finder icon is the one icon in that package I can't stand to look at for a length of time.

The Panther finder reminds me a bit of the pre-OS8 Copland-style Finder icon. Any one else remember that one? I think it's the different placement of the eyes.
  • Reply 9 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Ugh! The Finder icon is the one icon in that package I can't stand to look at for a length of time.

The Panther finder reminds me a bit of the pre-OS8 Copland-style Finder icon. Any one else remember that one? I think it's the different placement of the eyes.

are we talking about this icon?
  • Reply 10 of 31
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Quote:

Originally posted by badtz

are we talking about this icon?

ah! what the hell is that?
  • Reply 11 of 31
    Yes, that one.
  • Reply 12 of 31
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kecksy

ah! what the hell is that?

finder icon from the rad-e8's candybar package.

\
  • Reply 13 of 31
    akumulatorakumulator Posts: 1,111member
    Holy Jesus, that's the first I've seen of that icon... It's not too good. Why are they still using the same icon as the old operating systems? That sh*t's gotta go.

Hmmmm..... I never even click on the finder icon in the dock because I have my hard disks on the desktop.... maybe there should be a way to get the icon off the dock.
  • Reply 14 of 31
    purepure Posts: 26member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Akumulator

Holy Jesus, that's the first I've seen of that icon... It's not too good. Why are they still using the same icon as the old operating systems? That sh*t's gotta go.

Very true. The finder icon in the dock should be turned into the aquafied X(or whichever 10.x style it's supposed to be). Other then in the dock, i don't see the smiley MacOS logo anywhere. If they keep it in the dock, it should be more visible; put it somewhere during the startup at least!
  • Reply 15 of 31
    dviantdviant Posts: 483member
    whats the new finder icon look like?
  • Reply 16 of 31
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    You guys are all bonkers!

This stuff is getting BETTER as time goes on...more refined, less halting, less "maybe...?", more dialed-in.

IMO.
  • Reply 17 of 31
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    well, considering the X for Panther is fugly too, I'd say Jobs gets some glasses cause things DO seem to be going downhill.

Heck, I dont like the CHEESGRATER G5 enclosure either.

Its too.... square.

Where did the curves and sexiness and Industrial design go to? COME ON!!!!
  • Reply 18 of 31
    For reference, THIS is the Finder icon in Panther that we're referring to:

• Reply 19 of 31
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I HATE those beveled edges.

I think that the Finder icon should incorporate (or be) the OS X logo.
  • Reply 20 of 31
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    IMO, the app icons are supposed to be indicative. While I have no idea what Apple would use since they've taken stuff like magnifying glasses and such symbols for use in other apps, something about the icon should probably indicate it is the application to find your files and apps with.

(No mockups of the happy mac with monocle please. )