Avid Xpress DV: I'm taking the plunge.

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Okay, so I've used FCP off and on since version 2 came out, but it's so hard to get used to using it when I'm so into Avid. I learned non-linear editing on an Avid. I use it at work. XPress DV would be perfect for me.

That said, anyone else use it here? What are your thoughts or experiences? I'm especially interested to hear from those of you who have used Avid products at your work, and now have XDV at your home/home business.

And yes, I know it's going to be $1300USD to buy it. To me, using a program that I'm already so comfortable with is worth the extra over FCP.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    I learned to cut on an Avid way back when, and it pains me to even think about cutting on something else. DVX is wonderful, though not really as flexible as FCP; you're limited to DV only. But that's cool for most people, I'm sure.

The review copy I ran had no issues whatsoever. It was a pleasure to use. I'm currently evaluating FCP4, but it still ain't an avid

I say spend the extra cash, it's worth it for you.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    foadfoad Posts: 717member
    This is a interesting topic. From my stand point, use what works with what you need. They both have their pros and cons.

This is a little older of an article comparing Avid and FCP. It was made using FCP 3 but you get a rough idea.

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/avid_vs_fcp.html

The main FCP part of that site also explains a lot as far as FCP. It can help for those that are interested.

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage...age_index.html

For me I need the scalability of FCP 4. I am using it to cut SD all in software and am waiting on my I/O box for outputing fully uncompressed SD work. Here is the thing though. If you are totally used to Avid and will be only editing DV then XDV isn't a bad option. File compatibilty that and the bigger boxes is cool, but only if you really need it. The one big catch is that it is only DV so if later you want SD you don't have it. Even if you get the Mojo add-on deal it is still not as flexible. It isn't truely uncompressed. It is still pretty much analog I/O.

So like I said...use what works for ya the best. Obviously FCP 4 isn't Avid but sometimes that could be a good thing. I haven't heard of anyone having problems with XDV really so I say go for if it suits your needs.