Now about Virtual PC on the G5!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
How much faster might this run? My wife needs a PC at home and this would give me a great excuse to get the G5 and get the best of both worlds! Especially with any Intuit products (Quicken, Quickbooks etc.) All of the PC versions of those products contain much more features and we run all the businesses with those!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    It will run, like, way faster.

Seriously, financial apps would be no problem I'd think. No real extra horsepower needed there, unless you're filing LoCash's return. Major creative accounting there - you'd need the 9 fans.

• Reply 2 of 16
    How about some minor AutoCAD2000 work for school? I so want to get rid of my PC, but AutoCAD and Solidworks are holding me back. Cummon AutoCAD, come to Mac. Heck, bring CATIA and Solidworks! Native, that would be sweet!
  • Reply 3 of 16
    neurokidneurokid Posts: 108member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xhorxhi

How much faster might this run? My wife needs a PC at home and this would give me a great excuse to get the G5 and get the best of both worlds!

Of course, I could be wrong about the future. But VPC has never performed well, no matter what the hardware. They all promised that it would run superbly on the g4. It didn't. Then they said it would run great with dual g4s. It didn't. Then OS X came along and it really didn't. And so on. Maybe everything will change. But the bottom line is that if you need to run PC apps, buy a cheap PC! \
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by The Power of X

How about some minor AutoCAD2000 work for school? I so want to get rid of my PC, but AutoCAD and Solidworks are holding me back. Cummon AutoCAD, come to Mac. Heck, bring CATIA and Solidworks! Native, that would be sweet!

Well, don't hold your breath, but AutoCAD, CATIA, and Solidworks are all rumored to be in development for OS X.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    I think we could see a very significant speed-up on the G5!

As far as I know, VirtualPC has always been held back by the slow system-architecture (among other things L2 and L3 caches made a huge difference) so that should change now. Also, it has never been possible to optimize it completely for dual processors and altivec.

I wouldn't be surprised if a (single) 1,6 GHz G5 would run VirtualPC twice as fast as, say, a dual 1,25 GHz G4. Maybe VirtualPC is going to be a real option for running windows-software (except new games of course) now!

...let's see what Microsoft will do with it. Actually, I think it is in their interest to keep it alive and make it run as well as possible. They still get to sell a copy of Windows and the better it runs, the higher is the chance that people will go out and buy windows-apps to use with it.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    kroehlkroehl Posts: 164member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnsonwax

Well, don't hold your breath, but AutoCAD, CATIA, and Solidworks are all rumored to be in development for OS X.

Sweeeeeeet! That's one of the big stumbeling blocks for adopting Macs in architecture. I know, I know - VectorWorks does it all but it's not ACad. Bring it on!!!

Don't care about Solidworks and Catia (Solidworks too mechanical and Catia too..... just too). Wouldn't mind a nice updated version of Lightscape though and a G5 with Maya. Has this been tested for speed BTW on G5s?
  • Reply 7 of 16
    The reason I say Solidworks and CATIA is because I am a Mechanical Engineering student and would like to run all that on my Mac instead of having to use 2 machines for my likes. I know ACAD 2004 really jumped in requirements, mostly for collaboration additions as I am told. If they brought these machines to the Mac, I think it would open up some options, I would definitely get in on the action!
  • Reply 8 of 16
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Has there even been a single VPC patch since M$ bought it? It does not work with my Ethernet on my PBG4 12" and that is pissing me off.

VPC with Win2k is fine on my PBG4 so it must fly on a G5. No problems I think. Now why doesn't it use 3d hardware? How exactly is RealPC going to access the 3d hardware? I mean VPC has support for 3dfx cards with glide so why not OpenGL on new ATi and NVIDIAs?
  • Reply 9 of 16
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    if they brought ACAD to the Mac platform, i would buy it and a top end G5 in a heart beat, along with a HD 23" display. all my wife does is work in AutoCAD, and i'd finally have a legit excuse to buy a high-end tower for home use.

• Reply 10 of 16
    xhorxhixhorxhi Posts: 46member
    Bump!
  • Reply 11 of 16
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    If you can use Win98, it should run very well. I believe the biggest bottle neck VPC has always had has been the Microsoft Operating System. They're terribly slow.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Bump!

Anyone seen or used VPC running WinXP on G5 yet? Reason I'm so persistant about this is that my wife's firm might pay for a PC here at the house and if VPC runs as fast as a fast PIII then I'm gonna dance like a fruitcake at an all male toga party!! I'm also anxious to see if VPC will access the Windows based server at the office. It would be sweet to seemlessly run in both OS's from anywhere in the house!
  • Reply 13 of 16
    osxaddictosxaddict Posts: 131member
    Let's see...G5 not shipping yet, so that means it's not out there. Only been seen as a demo and chances of it having VPC slim to none....

I would have to hazard a guess and say no, noone has seen VPC running 98, ME, NT, or XP on a G5. I think I'm safe in saying that.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by OSXaddict

Let's see...G5 not shipping yet, so that means it's not out there. Only been seen as a demo and chances of it having VPC slim to none....

I would have to hazard a guess and say no, noone has seen VPC running 98, ME, NT, or XP on a G5. I think I'm safe in saying that.

Thanks for all the help Chief

Your exactly the type of "insider" I was hoping would post. ahem! OK then. Anyone else?
  • Reply 15 of 16
    I had a classmate running Windows 2000 and AutoCad 2000 on a PB G4 17 inch with 1 GB of RAM. It ran pretty good, if not a little jumpy. For occasional use ACad 2000 should be fine. Unless you want to make pretty gradient hatching, stay away from 2002.

Why not use Vectorworks Mechanical and export as .dwg/,dxf?
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Well I am trial running Vector, Form-Z, and Ashlar Vellum and it all works great so now I am simply "craving" a G5 and my wife requires a PC at home and its in the firms budget so...well you get the picture. I can parlay this into a great dual use system and she does all the finance for the various businesses and stuff on Quickbooks & Quicken. My involvement will be to post data to these accounting programs to keep current and ease the wifey's stress level come tax season. See the Win version of Intuit software is simply unacceptable to my wife (attorney & tax accountant) but the Mac version can only export to PC version and not the other way so there really is no way for me to post data to the PC QuickBooks document currently kept on her PC laptop. I would like to do all the work on the go w/my 800TiBook w/VPC and thats fine for posting reciepts and whatnot but she is a "power user" of the accounting software and running reports and sorting large data files just would not do well for her speed wise if the G5 were not up to the task. Just selfish me trying to finagle a killer desktop machine for myself for FREE!!!!!!!!!!