FAVEON X3 IN A CAMCORDER ???

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
THINKING ABOUT A DIGITAL CAMERA/ CAMCORDER NAD i REALLY WANT SOMETHING WITH A FAVEON LENS, HOPEFEULLY COULD TAKE AMAZING STILL frames and swithch to movies. The faveon technology came out in february why hasn't anything else besides one Sigma camera come out. Is apple planning anything ? why hasn't canon and olympus jumped on the bandwagon ?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    robert: Why do you need to capitalize everything you say? It's bad manners to capitalize everything, especially in the topic of a post.

By the way, it's <a href="http://www.foveon.com"; target="_blank">Foveon</a>, with two O's, not Faveon.

I doubt that we'll see a Foveon X3 sensor in motion cameras anytime soon. I'd be much more interested in a $1000 Nikon or Canon DSLR body with a 1:1 (35mm size) Foveon sensor.

Escher

[ 12-07-2002: Message edited by: Escher ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 4
    [quote]Originally posted by Escher:

I doubt that we'll see a Foveon X3 sensor in motion cameras anytime soon. I'd be much more interested in a $1000 Nikon or Canon DSLR body with a 1:1 (35mm size) Foveon sensor.

<hr></blockquote>

This guy is on the right track Escher, even with the caps lock problem. I'd love to see Apple add a Foveon based digital video recorder using laptop hard drives that can also offer hi res stills via iMovie. This would be a breakthrough device and a perfect compliment to the "digital hub".

<a href="http://www.steves-digicams.com/2002_reviews/sd9.html"; target="_blank">Steve's DigiCams</a> has a review of the first Foveon digital camera, the Sigma SD9. By the way I just got a Nikon D100 but the only reson I didn't go with the SD9 was my investment in Nikkor glass.

[quote]From Steve's DigiCams:

The Foveon X3 sensor features the powerful VPS? (Variable Pixel Size) technology. VPS provides the on-chip capability of grouping neighboring pixels together to form larger pixels that are optimal for reduced resolution, high frame rate or dual mode still/video applications. Other advanced features include: low fixed pattern noise and ultra-low power consumption.

<hr></blockquote>

• Reply 3 of 4
    why did you rule out the Kodak 14n? unless for the obvious reason (price) but that I believe uses nikon glass and is a 14 megapixels camera! yousers..that cam could realy use an ipod like storage ability (hint to apple to make 802.11 based ipod for camera back up)

with foveon I think its going to come to follow up based chips...if investment in it is continued then it still has a chance...it would also help if it had a big name backer for a consumer product...but none that I know of so far....

For the vid pros the Pana 24p for that price point and the Varicam seem the leaders of the block...Could any of you imagine Apple competing in that space in the future? I mean Sony does...although they have cut back alot in there pro audio division I think the pro vid division is pulling along
  • Reply 4 of 4
    [quote]Originally posted by Producer:

<strong>why did you rule out the Kodak 14n? unless for the obvious reason (price) ...

...it would also help if it had a big name backer for a consumer product...but none that I know of so far... Could any of you imagine Apple competing in that space in the future? </strong><hr></blockquote>

Right, price of the Kodak is too steep. A really appealing feature of the Kodak is 1:1 CCD, the D100 is 1:1.5 which makes wide harder to get. I have a 24~85 which equates to 36~127, and I like wide angle, a Great Nikkor Pro lens though.

I don't see Apple to go super high end in this but a consumer iPodish iCam would be killer.

[ 12-08-2002: Message edited by: Aphelion ]</p>