Medical applications for G5

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hi,

I'm wondering if there is any application that would be useful for a Med student that would require the power of a G5? (Hey, I'm looking for an excuse here!)

Unfortunately, DNA sequencing/searching would not be helpful.

Powerdoc, do you have any ideas? For example, is there a laparoscopic surgery simulator?

Thanks,

David

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    imacfanimacfan Posts: 444member
    Someone must have some excuse for me to get a Dual 2gig!

C'mon, be imaginative!
  • Reply 2 of 3
    formatc2formatc2 Posts: 176member
    Medical imaging such as MRI and XRAY analysis.

• Reply 3 of 3
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iMacfan

Hi,

I'm wondering if there is any application that would be useful for a Med student that would require the power of a G5? (Hey, I'm looking for an excuse here!)

Unfortunately, DNA sequencing/searching would not be helpful.

Powerdoc, do you have any ideas? For example, is there a laparoscopic surgery simulator?

Thanks,

David

I have heard that there is really a laparoscopic surgery simulator. I think that one exist in Strasbourg, where they are at the top in laparoscopic surgery. However this sort of device is very rare.

3D reconstruction will recquiere the full power of a dual G5 for sure, but you need to have a soft able to run it. My radiologist friends have Sun workstations for that purpose. They make lovely 3D reconstruction of the skull (when i want to practice a surgery of the nose), i would be happy to have the possibility to visualise it directly in 3D real time on my computer and not only via some prints.

However my medical software of patients folder and gestion, is so slow (terrible on my G3 333) that it requires the power of the G5. I has my reseller and he confirm that this program was damn slow. Yes it's the irony my G3 333 is still sufficiant for the work i made with photoshop (10 MB file) but sucks with this lame programmed software.

That's the reason why i consider to change all my office macs (3) for G5 towers.

PS : you don't need to have an excuse to buy a G5 : simply buy one because it's rock