iMac or eMac ? Help me out guys, pls

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi

OK, i want to put a mac in my kitchen, it will be used as itunes library (serving other comps), internet, mail, recipes, playing music, etc... nothing big.

For the longest time i was set to get an 400-500 MHz iMac, but these things are about $950 (canadian) (Maybe a little cheaper on eBay, but with shipping etc, i just figured out i will get one from a local mac shop)

For 1200 i can get 800 MHz eMac.

So now i'm stuck :-)

Do i need G4 ? wouldn't hurt i guess, other than faster cpu, it has 17" screen, faster bus, bigger hd and more ram, and is actually smaller than iMac.

Then again iMac is cheaper, it's a classic, never had one, and always wanted to get one. It also comes with dvd-rom while eMac is cd-rom only.

If i go with an eMac, how expensive is to swap cd-rom for dvd-rom?

Also how good are eMac's speakers? same as the ones used in iMacs?

Sorry for chaotic post, but i'm at work and doing 10 things at once :-(

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    dnisbetdnisbet Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by piwozniak

Hi

OK, i want to put a mac in my kitchen, it will be used as itunes library (serving other comps), internet, mail, recipes, playing music, etc... nothing big.

Quote:

Then again iMac is cheaper, it's a classic, never had one, and always wanted to get one. It also comes with dvd-rom while eMac is cd-rom only.

Well firstly, consider price, how much have you got, do you really need a brand new mac or will a refurb do?

The eMac smaller than iMac yes but still they're pretty big to put in a kitchen, I assume you've got a pretty big kitchen.

The DVD drive would come in handy for watchin films while cooking I imagine.

I don't know about the audio quality on either, my G3 iMac sounds pretty good, but will never match my hi-fi.

Yes the iMac is a classic, if your needs aren't great it would suit fine. You tell people you've got an eMac, most haven't heard of it but an iMac is a different story
  • Reply 2 of 2
    piwozniakpiwozniak Posts: 815member
    Thanks,

i think i will go with an iMac, price difference is not that much ($300 cad), but i don't know, i just want to have one. It's great little machine, one of a kind.

i think G3 will do, i will max out the ram.

DVD drive is a plus, and i just need it to sound decent, nothing spectacular.

cool, thanks!