multiplayer games at home

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Perhaps this is a stupid question, but...

Are there any games that you can play multiplayer on your home LAN without having to buy multiple copies?

I'm always willing to pay for the software I use, but it seems a little unfair that I can't enjoy the multiplayer functions of my games without investing in multiple copies.

I just want to repeatedly shoot my best friend while he is in the same room. Do I really have to pay double for that?

PS - On a related note, can anyone tell me if it actually is possible to play Unreal 2003 across different platforms (i.e. can I get the Mac version and play against the Windows version)?

PPS - Has anyone tried Jedi Knight II on a 400 Mhz Pismo? Technically it meets the requirements, but I'm suspicious.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    th0rth0r Posts: 78member
    Most games require multiple copies/licenses for multiplayer-- but usually the demos allow multiplayer. Demos limit you to a couple of levels, but if you "just want to repeatedly shoot your best friend while he is in the same room" most fps demos will let you do this. More levels = more $$.

IIRC, the Marathon series used to include a couple of network serial numbers with the game, for multiplayer. (Kill the guy with the skull!!!! )

If it's fps on a budget you're looking for:

Check out Cube

It's freeware. I haven't tried the multiplayer, but the sp was pretty cool. Check the system requirements... since you mention UT2K3 and a Pismo 400MHz in the same post..., I'm not sure what you're running.

You can get 2 full versions of Rune for about $26.00... it's OS 9 only, but I believe it should run okay in Classic. Rune is awesome multiplayer. Wish someone would port it to Mac OS X.--Since it uses the UT engine, it should be technically possible.

UT2K3 is cross-platform.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:

Check the system requirements... since you mention UT2K3 and a Pismo 400MHz in the same post..., I'm not sure what you're running.

I have a dual 867 that I want to pit against my Pismo 400.

Thanks for the suggestions and info. That was extremely helpful.