Apple back in the peripheral roulette again?!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Inspired by this Macrumors tidbit about future Apple peripherals...which may afterall be false, but who knows.

http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2003/...25190203.shtml

Is Apple really getting back into the market of developing standard peripherals to accompany their computers? I'm sure those older members here will remember the "ol' Gil and Scully" days when Apple spread their margins and product line thin by producing many peripherals (Quicktake camera, laser and inkjet printers, scanners, external cd-roms) that cut from their bottom line and must have zapped some valuable R&D and customer support resources.

The end result was that Apple overextended itself and opperated at a loss.

The new Apple is a truely a shadow of its former 1996-self, but still, what do you guys think about Apple stepping more and more into the peripheral game with the new iSight addition and possibly more to come? Whatever happened to the old "product square" we were so used to at the keynotes of yesteryear?

I think the Digital Hub is a much more structured vision of the interactive role between peripherals and computers. I highly doubt Apple would venture into peripherals that did not link to the ideology of this "peripheral philosophy".

I must admit Apple has done a stellar job with the iPod, but are these peripherals (i.e. external cd burners) really needed and what value would they serve for Apple and us, the consumer in an already saturated market of lower cost peripherals? Can/should Apple attempt this?

Discuss.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    the difference is Apple is releasing peripherals tied into their software that people will actually buy in mass.

They are also creating peripherals in areas of particular weakness on the mac platform and that are virtually guaranteed to turn a profit.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    Apple produced those items when there was very little competition. They drove the market. When good quality, cheaper alternatives were available they got out of the market. I think they made profits on those items till they got of those businesses.

I don't imagine Apple producing a laser printer again. If they make more peripherals they will be like the iPod or iSight.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Maine Road

I I'm sure those older members here will remember the "ol' Gil and Scully" days when Apple spread their margins and product line thin by producing many peripherals (Quicktake camera, laser and inkjet printers, scanners, external cd-roms) that cut from their bottom line and must have zapped some valuable R&D and customer support resources.

As far as I remember Gil Amelio actually tried to simplify Apple's product lines.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

As far as I remember Gil Amelio actually tried to simplify Apple's product lines.

At least that's what he'd like you to believe
  • Reply 5 of 7
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    apple is smarter now. we've all heard the rumor/story that steve says upon a new product idea. will it bring in $100 million dollars?

maybe the number isn't always the same but this is the new apple. they won't make products unless they think they can make lots of money. and build external boxes to one of the richest and fattest of their core markets (video/film) doesn't not seem like a bad idea.

The G5

Panther

World's fastest desktop

the term, firing on all cylinders is ringing o so true...
  • Reply 6 of 7
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    Quote:

Originally posted by keyboardf12

apple is smarter now. we've all heard the rumor/story that steve says upon a new product idea. will it bring in $100 million dollars?

maybe the number isn't always the same but this is the new apple. they won't make products unless they think they can make lots of money. and build external boxes to one of the richest and fattest of their core markets (video/film) doesn't not seem like a bad idea.

The G5

Panther

World's fastest desktop

the term, firing on all cylinders is ringing o so true...

Currently they are firing on 5 cylinders:[list=1][*]Portable[*]High end Pro[*]Software[*]Audio peripherial[*]Mac Music Service[/list=1]

They are experiencing a bit of fouling in the server market (update to G5 coming)

They have yet to replace the plugs in:[list=1][*]Consumer Line-up[*]Education[*]Buisness[/list=1]
  • Reply 7 of 7
    gizzmonicgizzmonic Posts: 511member
    We're seeing Apple creep farther and farther away from the famous 4-box matrix that Steve Jobs cut the focus to...

However, in the case of the iPod, this has been extremely profitable. The Apple Music Store and iSight have great potential as well.

The difference between then and 1996 is back then, Apple wasn't really marketing to the Windows crowd. The printers, cameras, etc were for Mac users only. Mac users may have felt "locked-in" to these expensive peripherals.

Nowaways, the peripherals have value in themselves. You don't have to own a Mac-or even a computer, for that matter-to understand why you want an iPod. The iSight could be a similar success (but I kinda doubt it will be, just because videoconferencing is nowhere near the 'killer app' that MP3 playing is).

I wish Apple would charge a little less and market a little more aggressively in the education and consumer markets, but they are doing pretty damn well considering the state of the US economy.