Pinstripeless Displays

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
How long have the 17 inch and the 20 inch displays been without the pinstripes? I downloaded the data sheet pdf from apple and the image clearly shows this.

The 23 inch still has them however. I don't remember them looking like this at the Apple store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    Quote:

Originally posted by chu_bakka

How long have the 17 inch and the 20 inch displays been without the pinstripes? I downloaded the data sheet pdf from apple and the image clearly shows this.

The 23 inch still has them however. I don't remember them looking like this at the Apple store.

They all don't have pinstripes, download this image and see http://www.apple.com/pr/photos/displ...agreement.html
  • Reply 2 of 22
    chu_bakkachu_bakka Posts: 1,793member
    well... there you go... guess I just missed it.

Those will look decent with the G5.
  • Reply 3 of 22
    brunobruinbrunobruin Posts: 552member
    I think they still have the stripes, they just don't show up in the renderings. This argument has been going on since the introduction of the Cube.

We just bought two new 17s for the office; they were delivered last Friday and they are stripetastic.

The fact that the 20-inch was designed with stripes makes me think Apple will keep them. It's not like the pinstriped displays have matched the last two G4 towers.
  • Reply 4 of 22
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Well...panther dosen't have pinstriping anymore, so I'd wager the next new displays won't either.
  • Reply 5 of 22
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Quote:

Well...panther dosen't have pinstriping anymore, so I'd wager the next new displays won't either

Thats a bit extreme there. \
  • Reply 6 of 22
    well that certainly clears things up... damn it.

Does anyone have a Apple LCD that does not have pinstripes? And don't say yeah my iMac...
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robust

panther dosen't have pinstriping anymore

Wrong. I take it you haven't seen any of my 140-something loss-less screenshots in the Mac OS X forum's sticky. \
  • Reply 8 of 22
    brunobruinbrunobruin Posts: 552member
    Pinstripes aside, I don't know why Apple went to a whiter finish on the displays. They don't match the G4 towers as well and certainly don't match the G5. I won't even go into how bad the Colgate-white keyboard and mouse look... \
  • Reply 9 of 22
    ...i would like to see a pro keyboard with backlit ( maybe blue) aluminum keys, like the new powerbooks.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    let me rephrase that...

Has ANYONE bought an Apple LCD that does NOT have pinstripes?
  • Reply 11 of 22
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Does the UI really no longer have pinstripes? This seems a bit of a trendy but ill thought change. Pin stirpes were a very subtle and effective way to move they eye along, like lined paper. I like them -- not on hardware, but in the UI.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    wotanwotan Posts: 106member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

Does the UI really no longer have pinstripes? This seems a bit of a trendy but ill thought change. Pin stirpes were a very subtle and effective way to move they eye along, like lined paper. I like them -- not on hardware, but in the UI.

Like Brad has already said, the pin stripes are still there. They've just been toned down. Take a look for yourself.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Yeah there is still a little pinstriping, but it's far less prominent, and it is gone from the tops of windows.

I think that suggests apple is moving away from that type of design, which would sugest that the next displays may very well be pinstripe-less.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    uhg... So in some of Apple's photos and PDFs there seems to be a lack of pinstriping... probably just so they look better in printed materials...

I haven't been to the SOHO store in a couple of weeks and I didn't notice if new monitors had been changed or not... besides they probably don't swtich monitors if it's only a minor cosmetic change.

If anyone has purchased one in the last week or two... lemme know.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I was skeptical at first, but the screens have been revamped.

The pinstripes have been pulled in addition to switching all apple logos to the metallic color, rather than the old translucent graphite color. After viewing the press photo on my 17" Flat Panel, I can tell you there is a noticable difference.

I was concerned about the "No New Displays" issue when I purchase my G5, but at this point I'm looking forward to it all!
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Now that we've seen the photos... has anyone seen the monitors in the flesh... or rather plastic.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

The pinstripes have been pulled in addition to switching all apple logos to the metallic color, rather than the old translucent graphite color.

The 20 and 23-inch displays never had the graphite logos; they have had the chrome Apples since they were introduced. The 23 was the first to have the new look as the 17 and 22 still had the graphite logo. The 17 was changed (I think) when the 20 was introduced last winter, if not before.

As I said a few posts back, our brand-new 17s (chrome logos) are stripetacular. And see the photo here. Looks stripey to me.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Someone should tell Apple that stripes and polka dts do not go together!
  • Reply 19 of 22
    Yeah... it just looks as if some of their released images of LCDs are stripeless. I think the displays do need an updating... and smaller bevels. But they're still great looking.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    mggmgg Posts: 124member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Wrong Robust

Well...panther dosen't have pinstriping anymore, so I'd wager the next new displays won't either.

My 17 inch display is supposed to come out tommorow so I guess I will have to wait until then to see.