Absorbed into the mothership.

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
So what small 3rd party utilities, from the looks of Panther DP1, did Apple render practically obsolete? It's dangerous territory for these folks, we all know that. Still, just for kicks, a morbid little list.

LiteSwitch, Proteron ($15) - now in the OS: command-tabbing in load order, in a shaded window the center of the screen

Addressix, A-Sharp ($13) - mailing labels from Address Book, now handled by Address Book, and even w/ printing to Avery

Classic Spy (free) - menu extra for Classic now provided, with some nice improvements

FaxSTF X, Smith Micro ($90) Page Sender, Smile Software ($30) - nullified (thankfully, in the case of FaxSTF!) by fax capibilities built into the OS

Default Folder X, St. Clair ($35) - new Open & Save dialogs gently put D.F. X out to pasture.

Still somewhat unclear...

- Suitcase, Font Agent? Will Font Book be good enough to knock these two out of the water? (Not Font Reserve, I know that.) Or will designers wanting auto-activation still pay Extensis & others?

- Keyboard Maestro, Key Xing, Hot Keys, QuicKeys X -- now keyboard shortcuts can be set, but these apps will still probably offer more. For the time being, anyway.

- Transit? Built-in FTP is supposedly much improved. Transit is good enough to hold on, though, I think... We'll see...

Any others to add?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    iBeeZz isn't needed anymore.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hobbes

FaxSTF X, Smith Micro... - nullified (thankfully, in the case of FaxSTF!) by fax capibilities built into the OS

Do Panther's built-in fax features include fax reception as well as fax transmission?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    The biggest of all: PopChar has been replaced by Edit > Special Characters...

Barto
  • Reply 4 of 9
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

Is this like Jaguar's Character Palette, retitled? Something even better?

Do tell (or show).
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

Do Panther's built-in fax features include fax reception as well as fax transmission?

Looks like it...

screenshot of fax pane in Print & Fax
  • Reply 6 of 9
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

- Transit? Built-in FTP is supposedly much improved. Transit is good enough to hold on, though, I think... We'll see...

Transmit is still needed for advanced use.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Is this like Jaguar's Character Palette, retitled? Something even better?

Do tell (or show).

It's exactly the same.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse

iBeeZz isn't needed anymore.

Why it's true. Chalk another 10 Euros to Panther's value.

Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Transmit is still needed for advanced use.

Glad to hear it. I only use fairly basic FTP.

Quote:

Originally posted by barto

Character Palette is great, but I think PopChar still holds it own for designer who need to quickly see all the characters of a particular font.

BTW, no new Location Manager yet in Panther, as rumored, it seems...?