Help Me!!!

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hey Guys,

One of my good friends from my record label gave me his Ibook because he just got a new powerbook. I said, "Great send it over!" Well, it arrived today and I powered it on and he had set and admin password on it and forgot to tell me and he just left for Puerto Rico for a while to visit reletives. I have the discs for OSX and that's what I wanted to upgrade too but when I power it on and hold the 'c' key to boot from the cd rom it comes to an all grey screen and with "the apple" on it. And about 3 minutes later or so, it'll come to a screen that says," restart your computer..." or something of the sorts. am i doing something wrong? It has OS 9.2.2 on it now. PLEASE I KNOW SOMEONE CAN HELP ME GET OSX ON MY IBOOK!! thanks and take care guys!

please email me with solution... [email protected]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    My friend's G3 did that last night trying to upgrade OS X, it's a kernel panic. What ever his problem is is probably not the same as yours though, his machine's pretty fscked up. Try doing it again with out anything USB hooked up, you may have to try doing a clean install first, however it would very most likely be a hardware problem. Any new RAM installed lately? Is it the CD drive that came in it?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by iBrowse

My friend's G3 did that last night trying to upgrade OS X, it's a kernel panic. What ever his problem is is probably not the same as yours though, his machine's pretty fscked up. Try doing it again with out anything USB hooked up, you may have to try doing a clean install first, however it would very most likely be a hardware problem. Any new RAM installed lately? Is it the CD drive that came in it?

hey, thanks for the reply! nope, i didnt add any new hardware or have anything hooked up to the usb ports. How would i go about doing a clean install? would there be a way i can boot from the OS X cd 1 and do a clean install? remember, i dont have the password to even get to the desktop. and when i tried to boot from my OS X cd it would do what i discribed earlier... any ideas?? thanks!
  • Reply 3 of 3
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    It really sounds like a hardware problem that is causing this kernel panic, and if it only happens when trying to boot off the CD I would first try two things to try to narrow it down fixing it. First, do you have any other CDs you could boot off to test the CD drive itself? Like the OS 9 CD? The other thing I'd try to do would be to try booting another machine off the OS X CD to make sure it's not the disk itself that has a problem causing the panics. If it's a problem occurring with only [/i]that[/i] CD on that machine then it's beyond me, there could be a problem with this preview build that affects certain G3s because my friend had numerous kernel panics trying to boot an older G3 off a Panther disc too. To do a clean install you'd need a CD you could boot off of to format the drive, and even then you'd need to eventually boot off of the Panther CD to install it. Try doing searches in Genius Bar for kernel panics and booting off CDs and stuff, this may be related to a problem that's been covered before.