Bluetooth Enabled PowerMacs and Portables

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
According to a new report on MacRumors, Apple will announce that all their computers (portables and desktops) will have bluetooth. It will be announced at MWSF it says.

I'm not sure if I buy it. Quite a few models were updated recently... wouldn't it take a fairly significant change in the systems to get bluetooth to fit (especically in the portables)?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    The most pain free solution would piggy-back it on the airport card, for owners of older macs. Or, seeing as how the 802.11b antennae use the same 2.4Ghz band, bluetooth could possibly be piggy-backed onto the antennae circuit with little change to the mobos of any models. It's small and cheap, no biggie.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    and I wouldnt be surprised if Apple did this minor update to its portable line. I have had two sources, one an employee at the Apple Retail Store and another friend of mine who is an Apple reseller say that "Now is not a good time to buy a computer...laptop or desktop...<<wink wink>>"
  • Reply 3 of 8
    zazzaz Posts: 177member
    [quote]Originally posted by filmmaker2002:

<strong>and I wouldnt be surprised if Apple did this minor update to its portable line. I have had two sources, one an employee at the Apple Retail Store and another friend of mine who is an Apple reseller say that "Now is not a good time to buy a computer...laptop or desktop...&lt;&lt;wink wink&gt;&gt;"</strong><hr></blockquote>

Said it before, I will say it again....

I just finished a 3 year stint managing a large Apple reseller before i picked up and got outta dodge.

From first hand experience they know nothing. My staff relied on rumor sites for coming info.

The only possible clues they may get come in either AppleMailbox, which is rarely worth a damn or Learn & Earn. Neither of which can really be considered inside info.

The whole reseller/retailer/campus bookstore/buddy at Apple is just a way for most AppleHeads to feel like they are in the know.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    So, with Bluetooth on all of Apple's computers (are we assuming it will be cheap enough to put in the eMac and G3 iMac?).... then what will Apple do to promote why they did this?

What I mean is, will the iPod have some sort of bluetooth function or will there wireless keyboards and mice (mouses?)?

You don't just put bluetooth in and say it's great without giving people a reason to believe you and to buy.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    So, with Bluetooth on all of Apple's computers (are we assuming it will be cheap enough to put in the eMac and G3 iMac?).... then what will Apple do to promote why they did this?

What I mean is, will the iPod have some sort of bluetooth function or will there wireless keyboards and mice (mouses?)?

You don't just put bluetooth in and say it's great without giving people a reason to believe you and to buy.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    quickquick Posts: 227member
    [quote]Originally posted by macmike:

<strong>You don't just put bluetooth in and say it's great without giving people a reason to believe you and to buy.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You don't need to convince people anymore that bluetooth is cool to have. A lot of new bluetooth devices will see daylight in the coming months. But I guess Apple will not update any of it's hardware with just the addition of bluetooth and nothing else.

As far as I know Apple has never released an update to any model without giving it a minor/major speedbump.