2003 iMac predictions

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
It was almost a year ago thet the G4 iMac was introduced and to date there have been no speed improvemets.

We have seen the introduction of the 17" widescreen version and that proved to be extreemly good value compared to the 15" Superdrive version.

Well in January I believe we must see some speed bumps and other ehancements but what will they be?

I would like to see the following:-

1. All wide screen 17" and 19" models.

2. Bluetooth standard across the board.

3. Only combo or SuperDrive models.

4. Speeds starting at 1ghz.

5. And a huge improvement ont he GeForce2 supplied to the 15" models.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    No. The 19" likely wont happen. The low-end will have a cheaper drive to drive costs down. I really doubt bluetooth will be on board if it doesn't make an appearance in the pro or portable line first. Speeds will likely top at 1GHz.

Yes, there will be better graphics cards.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    [quote]Originally posted by Spart:

<strong>No. The 19" likely wont happen. The low-end will have a cheaper drive to drive costs down. I really doubt bluetooth will be on board if it doesn't make an appearance in the pro or portable line first. Speeds will likely top at 1GHz.

Yes, there will be better graphics cards. </strong><hr></blockquote>

I think that blue tooth has more consumer appeal than pro appeal, so I wouldnt be supprised if it made an appearance in the iMac first. Personally I would prefer that they come out with an Airport II card with built in blue tooth than to integrate it into the motherboard. As long as they fit in the original card slot, then they have a huge market for this card in the computers that are already in circulation.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    there are a dozen other threads on this topic.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    [quote]Originally posted by Hawkeye_a:

<strong>there are a dozen other threads on this topic.</strong><hr></blockquote>

No there aren't this thread is deadicated to the 2003 iMac. Not to a show or a umble of other Apple hardware. It is a focused thread dedicated to one product.

It seems to me that the iMacs are well overdue for an upgrade and if any product is to be upgraded this has to be the next in line.

I forgot to say that I would like to see some colour options.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    noseynosey Posts: 307member
    Looking at the history of the original iMac, Apple increased things like the hard drive size, cd capabilities, and memory... Nice simple 'preplanned' upgrades to make their entry models look better. Especially since they were not very expandable.

I think the most useful thing they could do to upgrade this product line would be to make 256M standard. This would increase the upper limit of internal memory (ie, don't go to 256M standard by just adding a 128M simm...)

A better graphics chip would be a definite asset if it enhances the behavior of Quartz Extreme.

Screenwise, there isn't very much else you could do because you don't really need a bigger screen than 17 inches (No... you don't.)

Hard drive size is not something I can see them doing since the sizes they have now are sufficient for most users.

I don't see them upgrading the speed until there are a few of these other 'base' upgrades first. And, just to be different... making a base available without the screen, so I can continue to use my analog 19 inch with a spiffy inexpensive G4....

(I had to add that last bit just so you could all call me an idiot )
  • Reply 6 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by Addison:

<strong>

No there aren't this thread is deadicated to the 2003 iMac. Not to a show or a umble of other Apple hardware. It is a focused thread dedicated to one product.

It seems to me that the iMacs are well overdue for an upgrade and if any product is to be upgraded this has to be the next in line.

I forgot to say that I would like to see some colour options.</strong><hr></blockquote>

<a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=002720"; target="_blank">http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=002720</a>;

• Reply 7 of 14
    robbyrobby Posts: 108member
    id like to see standard across the board 1ghz ( even slightly better 1.13 ghz)

increase base ram to 256 mb ram

minor price reduction
  • Reply 8 of 14
    133mhz bus speed too now that PM's at hitting 166mhz
  • Reply 9 of 14
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member

<strong>133mhz bus speed too now that PM's at hitting 166mhz</strong><hr></blockquote>

and a meg of L3 would also be a huge help.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member

<strong>133mhz bus speed too now that PM's at hitting 166mhz</strong><hr></blockquote>

It should've been 133MHz from the beginning.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    1 ghz for all models with 133 mhz bus, 1 MB L3 cache for the top end model, 256 MB RAM minimum, geforce 4 mx in it with 64 MB memory for the 17 inch screen, 32 MB for the 15 inch. No 19 inch screen. Combo and superdrive for all except a CD writer for the low end model.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    My predictions:

No L3 cache.

256MB across the line, high end may be 512.

Two 15" and two 17" models.

Superdrive in top 17" and 15".

GeForce 4 MX across the line, 64MB in all but low end.

800MHz-1GHz.

Hard drives up to 80GB.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Spart, I don't like your forecast it looks too real.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    [quote]Originally posted by PowerPC:

<strong>

<a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=002720"; target="_blank">http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=002720</a>;

</strong><hr></blockquote>

This kid's a genius.

Please don't clutter the place up.