Quicktime questions, need help.

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
A couple of questions trying to view some movies in QT.

1. Some avi's I can view in OS 9 & QT but when I try to do it using os X.2.6 I can't. I also cannot save them to be independent and play in X. These same avi's will have a preview in the open window in 9 but not in X.

2. Some Avi's that i use Divx doctor II on say that a compressor is missing and will have sound but a white video screen. Sometimes this same avi will play in OS 9 & QT.

3. Another strange thing is that some movies play jerky, then will repeat over and over a second or two segment until i stop the film. The next time that same part of the film plays fine but the repeating is in a different area.

4. Some films will show segments that have large square pixilation, kinda of like a scrambled tv channel. The next time you play it it is gone or in an area that played fine the last playing.

Am I missing something that allows these films to work in OSX?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by zoozx27

A couple of questions trying to view some movies in QT.

1. Some avi's I can view in OS 9 & QT but when I try to do it using os X.2.6 I can't. I also cannot save them to be independent nd play in X. These same avi's will have a preview in the open window in 9 but not in X.

2. Some Avi's that i use Divx doctor II on say that a compressor is missing and will have sound but a white video screen.Sometimes this same avi will play in OS 9 & QT.

Am I missing something that allows these films to work in OSX?

Thanks

For the AVIs I'd suggest you download either VLC or MPlayer. They read AVIs flawlessy for the most part. They're available at both Versiontracker.com and Macupdate.com. Hope that helped.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    zoozx27zoozx27 Posts: 88member
    thanks
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Quote:

Originally posted by zoozx27

Mplayer ? Version tracker does not find this, is this the correct name?

Thanks for the help.

Yup. MPlayer is the correct name. If all else fails go here:

MPlayer for Mac OS X

VT isn't always the best. I prefer MacUpdate over it but they're both good to some extent.

Oh and I wouldnt get VLC unless you have a very fast CPU. It tends to be a CPU hog...