Stupid things you think of when you got insomnia

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Taller version of G5 tower with 4 Drive and 2 Optical Drives, Wanted to put Hot-swappable modules, but it didn't look practical.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    michaelbmichaelb Posts: 242member
    Yeah, very nice, and I'm sure you'll get a lot of fans around here!

But practically, how many people need this capacity in a desktop right at the moment - a terabyte of storage and the ability to burn two DVDs at once?

It would push the cost up and force the rest of us to find room for more bulk than we need.

For the people who do need the storage - Pixar probably! - there's FireWire 400/800 connectors, or Gigabit ethernet to transfer it to a SERVER.

It'd be sad to see the G5 flop in the market because the hardcore mob begin their "I'm not buying anything without 2 optical drive bays" mantra.

Who knows, though, maybe Rev B will follow your design.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    4 drives is overkill for the average user, but 2 optical drives makes sense for many. It is more convienient sometimes, though not necessarily faster, to copy disk to disk, than to copy to hd first and then to disk. Anyway, doesn't come up all that often, so I think the current setup is pretty good for most users. I am still debating waiting for rev b or go for this one.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    I used to have two HDs in my G4 tower, but I took one out and put it in a FW case. I find that more convenient. I only use the drive for backup so I can leave it powered off most of the time (longer drive life, less noise). If you have two drives in the system the second one tends to spin down. Then when you do some action in the finder it wants to check something in all mounted volumes and you have to wait for the drive to spin up. You could use some commands in the terminal to force the drive to spin all the time, but why wear out a drive that is just used once in a while?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    This is my current setup,

2 40 GB IDE drives RAID 0 for 80 GB total

1 120GB IDE

the RAID is backed up every night on to the singel drive. So god forbid anything happens I have some protection. Since Apple doesn't have RAID 3 or 5, even RAID 0+1 so this is the best solution I can think of without the added expense of external FW case.

But I think 4 Serial ATA Stripped, wil give you one kick-ass performance.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    was there ever an image in this thread?
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

was there ever an image in this thread?

yes there was, is and will be. Unless I shut my machine off.