Safari won't launch

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I can't get Safari too launch. I just reinstalled it and updated to 10.2.6. Please help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    try chucking the safari cache files in ~/Library/Cache/

then see if you can launch the app.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    It's still not working, and it's begginning to get on my nerves. I got v60 working, but it expired today, and so I'm left without Safari till I get this worked out. I tried dumping the cache file, but there wasn't one. There was one new folder that I haven't seen before now(in ~/Library/Caches) labeled SubNet.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Also, I am now unable to install the new Safari. I have downloaded the DMG file at least a few times, and Disk Copy all finds there to be no mountable file systems.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    1. Run Disk Utility, check Disk and repair disk permissions.

2. Make sure you don't have 2 Disk Copy apps. Launch it directly from /Applications/Utilities.

3. It may happen so that your Safari.dmg download ended with an error and subsequent tries to re-download it just retrieve the bad file from the cache. Try a different browser like Camino to get it.

4. You may also log in as another user and try downloading it again.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Just tried everything you said. Even booted off the install CD and verified the disk and permissions. Still, nothing works. Help please.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Did you install PithHelmet, the Ad blocking software? It's not compatible with 1.0.

Trash it (inside Library/InputManagers/SIMBL/ ... check both your user and system library), and it should work if that was the problem.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Thanks. That solved the problem. I was stupid to forget that I had PithHelmet installed.

Anyone know when a new version of PithHelmet will be released for Safari 1.0?
  • Reply 8 of 9
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by CubeDude

Thanks. That solved the problem. I was stupid to forget that I had PithHelmet installed.

Anyone know when a new version of PithHelmet will be released for Safari 1.0?

I'm kinda disappointed with the author... I mean, he had the program updated for some of the private betas, but come 1.0 it don't work no more, and the update is nowhere to be found. Maybe something changed so it's harder to do....
  • Reply 9 of 9
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Did you guys totally miss this one?

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/10752

It works with Safari 1.0. It's been out for nearly a week.

Though, you might want to trash your Safari prefs first. Sometimes old versions of PithHelmet can screw up the prefs and break new ones. Also, I recommend against using the new packages that comes with this updated PithHelmet with Installer.app since some people have reported problems with it. I extracted the files with Pacifist and they worked fine.