New Apple Pro Keyboard?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I notice that Apple have pulled all the 'pro' keyboards for its webstite, with just that white eMac one available now. Which could mean one of two things:

1) That white eMac keyboard is all were gettin because Ive and co are very busy designing lots of new stuff for us behind the scenes, or

2) There is a new 'pro' keyboard in the pipeline

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    3. Apple is cheap and shipping all machines with really crappy peripherals
  • Reply 2 of 17
    cliveclive Posts: 720member
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

3. Apple is cheap and shipping all machines with really crappy peripherals

I'll go with 3.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    I still hope for a new, sexy Alu keyboard, with sexy, blue backlight like the lapzilla
  • Reply 4 of 17
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Yup. 3.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Hmmm... I didn't like the old eMac (white Apple Pro) keyboard. The new one looks sorta interesting to me. Has anyone used it? What's it like? I thought of getting the iceKey because it has the same sort of keys as the new Al books, but I'd really like to try the new keyboard first. I've yet to see one in a store though.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    <Deleted>
  • Reply 7 of 17
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Nope. Pro Keyboard & Mouse in the works.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Well I think that since the new Mac are made of Al. and the new design soo.. soooo... 3.

flick.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    macjedaimacjedai Posts: 263member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Zapchud

I still hope for a new, sexy Alu keyboard, with sexy, blue backlight like the lapzilla

I'm hope'n for something like that too ... but for sales of the here and now ... number 3

• Reply 10 of 17
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I just got a Pro keyboard. It's a Macally NetKey and it rocks. Built in scroll wheel, web navigation buttons and music controls.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Yep, you forgot option 4.

4. Apple gets out of the keyboard/mouse business and sells third-party mice and keyboards from Logitech, MacAlly and others.

That would be a bold step, though. Even Dell ships rebadged oem mice/keyboards.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    but they would look funny?

i don't know who makes their mouse now but logitech used to when it used a ball.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    When you said aluminum keyboard, backlit with a blue light like the 17-inch Powerbook.............maaannn.......that sent chills up my spine........that is absolutely what is needed to send off the G5 properly!
  • Reply 14 of 17
    'crappy components'...sounds like whining to me.

I've never come acrossed any component made during Steve's "Second Coming" that has blantantly failed outside of physical abuse.

I think you guys should be complaining about the accessory features of the components, and not about the design. (which is one of the highest quality I've come acrossed through the years)

Even though I use a two-button MacAlly as my primary, I've got the hockey puck in the other port of the keyboard, just in case it fails, or I feel like using the other hand fo shooting it up in UT2003, QIII, UT.

It is irritating that they haven't implemented the scroll wheel, context-menu button (which is sometimes wrongly named the "right mouse button," its the left button on a lefty mouse)

oh yah, forgot one thing: AND BRING ON THE ALUMINUKEYBOARD, man that would be f'n a$s sweet.

platypus monkey.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    I recently bought Logitech Wireless MX Duo, Coolest keyboard around.

Yes, the Media buttons only work with iTunes, but it works that all that matters, And the implementation on PC side kinda suckass. But I have been getting good battery life on both the keyboard and mouse. The rechargeable stand/Receiver works great. If I had to recommend a keyboard I would recommend this keyboard. The Apple Pro Keyboard's buttons can be duplicated and "user buttons" can be used to shut the machine off.

The keys have nice action, and not mushy at all, nice tactile feel to them.

And the MX 700 mouse, Nice too. Total of 8 buttons plus scroll up and down. Just cant beat that with a stick and also wireless.

And the ALT and Option keys are automatically switched depending on the OS.

Can get one for $65, if you know where to look.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    It would be stupid for Apple to use so much on the G5 case and make something you are most likely to hide under the desk look so good (yes I am convinced) and then downgrade the keyboard and mouse. And given Apples history I would say it was very likely.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    ouroborosouroboros Posts: 82member
    If I were the one to design a new keyboard/mouse combo, I'd simply produce the extended keyboard version of the 17" powerbook, complete with key colors, ambient lighting, etc. That would be awesome! People would jump to buy those I think (I know I would).

I was thinking that since Apple likes simplicity in their mice, one could see a mouse that doesn't click at all, and simply has a smooth surface on the end. It could be plastic with a chrome color in the center (instead of the white now). But what would be interesting I think would be three small, subtle demarcations on the end, representing three user programmable spaces. For example the left side could be the regular click,the right side could be right click, and the center could be a scroll function, etc. Besides, doesn't kensington have something like this already? In any case, I think its kind of a cool idea and I could sorta see Apple possibly doing this for the mouse because at the very least designwise it seems to fit the bill for simplicity.