Fuel cell laptops from NEC

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
You can get the full article here.

TOKYO - Japanese computer giant NEC Corp. Monday revealed a prototype of a laptop computer that runs on a methanol fuel cell instead of a rechargeable battery, and said it will start selling it next year...

NEC initially plans to introduce a computer with a fuel-cell system able to run for five consecutive hours on a single cartridge of methanol fuel, but also plans to make a PC within two years that can run continuously for as long as 40 hours.

Is there a future in this for Apple??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SoopaDrive

Is there a future in this for Apple??

Absolutely. This thing is gonna be bigger than Jesus.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    That would be cool. My PI might start to wonder why the lab's purchases of methanol went through the roof, though. I'd probably have to resort to setting up a still in my basement and stealing wood chips from the neighbor's yard.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    rageousrageous Posts: 2,170member
    sounds retarded. who want to have to go to the store to buy gas for their computer?
  • Reply 4 of 12
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    Quote:

Originally posted by rageous

sounds retarded. who want to have to go to the store to buy gas for their computer?

But we're talking over 40 hours of battery life here, a 1000% increase, and I'm sure they'll come up with a clever way of recharging it that doesn't require pooring liquid into your computer.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Couldn't you just recharge it using electrolysis from a regular power outlet in your home? If they engineered this canister correctly, they could make it so that the water byproduct gets returned to the canister, and then by plugging it back into a wall, the oxygen and hydrogen separate back out.

This would be the only way I would buy a fuel cell laptop... I really don't feel like dumping 30 bucks into a cartridge every 40 hours (or whatever the price/time ratio comes out to).
  • Reply 6 of 12
    fred_ljfred_lj Posts: 607member
    Takes a tad bit more energy than you can get out of a 120V AC power outlet to split water molecules (I think--could be wrong, though----but who in their right mind would want molecular hydrogen gas anywhere near themselves?). I imagine you would able to purchase replacement cartridges for both the fuel (methanol - the hydrogen source in this case) and the product of the reaction (condensed water vapor).
  • Reply 7 of 12
    xmogerxmoger Posts: 242member
    You can buy (racing)methanol for $2.50/gallon. The fuel pack may hold 6 ounces. That gives ~21 refills, or about 12 cents for 40 hours.

And no recharging or $50 replacement batteries.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by xmoger

You can buy (racing)methanol for $2.50/gallon. The fuel pack may hold 6 ounces. That gives ~21 refills, or about 12 cents for 40 hours.

And no recharging or $50 replacement batteries.

And the ink in the cartridges for inkjet printers costs about $0.02/gallon but the cartridges cost about $25 per 1 ounce....
  • Reply 9 of 12
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Arrgh. You called me on it. I had no idea what I was talking about. I saw fuel cells and thought hydrogen. I saw replaceable canisters and I thought ink jet cartridge.

I suppose I should read the article first, huh?

Edit: Boy am I a shmuck. I guess I should read other people's posts, too. Maybe I should just go to bed.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Not really related but are there solar chargers we can buy for our batteries? And I still say the PBs and iBooks should have a lid that collects solar energy. If you're outside a lot that could probably equal a battery's worth but I'm just guessing.

Haha...

Quote:

but who in their right mind would want molecular hydrogen gas anywhere near themselves?

Just reminds me of the "flaming laptops" a while back.. And you thought those were bad! BOOM! "Oops, sorry guys, I knew I shouldn't have left my laptop out in the sun, oh well, I guess we can always just buy a new car..."
  • Reply 11 of 12
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    At 40 hours it becomes interesting, but at anything under 8, it really isn't worth it. I think batteries will provide true 8 hour run times in the next couple of years. Fuel cells will provide "in the field" back up, not main portable power.

What do they do with exhaust gases?
  • Reply 12 of 12
    soopadrivesoopadrive Posts: 182member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

What do they do with exhaust gases?

Chrome exhaust tips coming out of the computer?