The G5 is HUGE!

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
OK OK, I know we have a lot of G5 posts, but this is the first pic I have seen that really illustrates the G5's size.

It's freaking huge! "Workstation" INDEED. Makes the G4 look like the Cube.

G5 angry! G5 SMASH!

More pics here: http://homepage.mac.com/dstranathan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    wow! the Power Mac G4 was never that big though so the G5 souldn't feel that big sitting on your desk
  • Reply 2 of 52
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    the G4 was a mini tower...not a micro tower...the g5 is closer to a tower then i thought (oh well i dont care i am still buying one)

man i never saw a good real life pic of how good i looks without the side one...i think that is how i'll run mine
  • Reply 3 of 52
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    HAND CHECK!
  • Reply 4 of 52
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    As long as its quiet.
  • Reply 5 of 52
    coolmaccoolmac Posts: 259member
    When you see them side by side you really appreciate the huge redesign.

This isn't an evolutionary change, it's revolutionary!
  • Reply 6 of 52
    i, fredi, fred Posts: 125member
    When you see then side by side, you realize that only a fcukwitted design team could fail to include more space for internal expansion.
  • Reply 7 of 52
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by I, Fred

When you see then side by side, you realize that only a fcukwitted design team could fail to include more space for internal expansion.

Really? So you're an expert on internal heat distribution? A master of precision processor placement? You put the 'Periph' in PCI? Do tell, oh High Lord of design.....
  • Reply 8 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

Really? So you're an expert on internal heat distribution? A master of precision processor placement? You put the 'Periph' in PCI? Do tell, oh High Lord of design.....

Just because you've figured out how to efficiently stack the tupperware in your kitchen cupboard doesn't make you an expert in layout either.

Do tell us your qualifications, oh High Lord of condescension.
  • Reply 9 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

Just because you've figured out how to efficiently stack the tupperware in your kitchen cupboard doesn't make you an expert in layout either.

Do tell us your qualifications, oh High Lord of condescension.

i dont believe he said he was...but busting on a great design by people who are i'm 100% positive better at their job then you are even close to is not the purpose

just because it doesn't fit YOUR liking doesn't mean its bad design...i'd ask you what you are getting the G5 for but most likely your not, just bitchin and would make up a reason so u dont look like u have the iq left of the bell curve
  • Reply 10 of 52
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I don't think there's much disputing:

1. It's a highly functional and efficient design

and

2. We'd all feel a lot better if there was space for a third drive.

No design is perfect. I'll take what this machine offers ANY DAY, over the more storage-expansive G4. Get over it already.

8)
  • Reply 11 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

just because it doesn't fit YOUR liking doesn't mean its bad design...i'd ask you what you are getting the G5 for but most likely your not, just bitchin and would make up a reason so u dont look like u have the iq left of the bell curve

Although I have a couple of problems with the new case, I can see why they made certain decisons. It would be short-sighted to assume that the design team got everything right with the first revision. I'm sure that over the next few years we'll see numerous changes to the 'cheese-grater'.

I certainly didn't say that it was bad design, and the other poster only mentioned (in colorful language) that the design team could have thoughtfully included more internal expansion in the much larger G5 tower.

I do think we'll be seeing some dust problems with the new case, and it may be a good time to invest in one of those companies that make those little cans of compressed air.

(You and I can compare pictures of our dual g5 rigs. I'll have Logic and FCP running on mine. How about you?)
  • Reply 12 of 52
    Agreed. I rarely use even a single CD-ROM in my Unix box. I can donwload everything I need from the net.

I used to think that a second optical was the only way to go... until the second optical in my PC quit working. I discovered that a single optical does the same job. But others needs may differ.

The nw handles seem to lift the unit further off the ground. More clearence underneath. Or is that just an optical illusion?

Would the G5 tower sit stable on a carpeted floor?
  • Reply 13 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by audiopollution

Although I have a couple of problems with the new case, I can see why they made certain decisons. It would be short-sighted to assume that the design team got everything right with the first revision. I'm sure that over the next few years we'll see numerous changes to the 'cheese-grater'.

I certainly didn't say that it was bad design, and the other poster only mentioned (in colorful language) that the design team could have thoughtfully included more internal expansion in the much larger G5 tower.

I do think we'll be seeing some dust problems with the new case, and it may be a good time to invest in one of those companies that make those little cans of compressed air.

(You and I can compare pictures of our dual g5 rigs. I'll have Logic and FCP running on mine. How about you?)

PhotoShop, Aftereffects, FCP, DVDSP...perhpas i'll try adn get into logic...it looks liek such a sweet program but i never spent to time to play around with it
  • Reply 14 of 52
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

More pics here: http://homepage.mac.com/dstranathan

what is this:

errr this:

http://homepage.mac.com/dstranathan/...WWDC03/cpu.gif
  • Reply 15 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

PhotoShop, Aftereffects, FCP, DVDSP...perhpas i'll try adn get into logic...it looks liek such a sweet program but i never spent to time to play around with it

DVDSP is something I'll be looking at as I get further into the video side of things. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who owns it so I can get a few hours of hands-on experience.

Since I've been slowly dumping all of my outboard gear in favor of software synthesis and effects, I'm looking forward to the extra processing power the G5 will afford me in Logic.

... and to get back on topic: Now if only I could have a second optical drive bay in my G5, I could add a 2nd Superdrive and burn 2 DVD's or audio CD's at once.
  • Reply 16 of 52
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    *Sigh*

Re: 3 PCI slots

FireWire 2.
  • Reply 17 of 52
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Thanks for the pic, but I actually thought it was going to be bigger. I'm not saying I'm disappointed, I'm just saying it looked taller than that.

Not that it matters anyway. I'm getting one. I'm waiting for Seybold, and hoping for a better Nvidia Card. I really need it.
  • Reply 18 of 52
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

Quote:

Originally posted by I, Fred

It's HUGE, compared to the G4, which had more slots. My stupid beige box has 2 sets of RAM slots, 6 PCI, 2 optical + floppy bay, and some HD bays.

Of course, the inside has enough cables to scare off a spider, and it doesn't run OS X, and it's beige. But it has a decent fan, so it's not too loud, and in it's hidden in a corner without any ventilation.

The G5 may be overdesigned, regardless of Ive's Wired comments about simplicity, but I really wanted the option to put extra stuff in, just in case. I'm the kind that will max out something, just because I can.
  • Reply 19 of 52
    thereubsterthereubster Posts: 402member
    OK so I havent seen one in the flesh, but (it seems to me that) there is definitely enough room in front of those 2 huge CPU fans to mount a bracket for 2 vertical HD, with a gap between them to allow airflow, then connect it up to a PCI ATA card via a long cable and there you go, 4 drives. How long before we see someone do this? I know, hard disks make heat, but the fans are controlled by the OS so they just spin a little faster! THere is a huge amount of empty space at the bottom front of the new case.......
  • Reply 20 of 52
    zazzaz Posts: 177member
    Yep.... big.

"Why why why isn' there more internal space?"

Here is the answer in short and lay industrial design...

The G5 uses a something of a convective cooling style. It relies on airflow at certain volumes and speeds to provide the amount of cooling needed. The velocity of the air passing through a particular zone rises and falls by variable fan speed. The appropriate speed is determined by internal an ambient room temperature.

By separating the design into zones the velocities of the fans can vary as required by that zone.

Ok, that sounds great, I get it you bonehead... but there is still all this space in there.

The single most important thing for convective cooling is minimal resistance. The path of least resistance is a straight line. Thus the zones, each making a specific effort to minimize drag by keeping them uniform.

The G5 also uses a special plexiglass piece to help direct airflow around some elements. Things like drives and PSU's are square and blocky and therefore provide significant resistance to airflow...even causing some cavitation. This reduces convective cooling as the air velocity is reduced and is also not provided effectively direct passage through the zones.

Yeah, so?

So, adding additional hardware inside provides additional barriers. This decreases cooling and requires higher fan speeds. This forces more air into the box at higher velocity to compensate, but that air now meets the blocky objects and causes more noise.... the windy sound.

So, maybe this makes it a it more clear.

Most PC cases have terrible air flow. PSU fans sucking air from inside without any adequate intake; front fans sucking in air, but sending it smack into a flat surface like the PCI covers; CPU and GPU fans pointing in perpendicular directions, causing vacuums and low pressure areas forcing air at high speeds directly on to flat surfaces. Basically a lot of fans blowing in random directions with no uniform intake or exhaustive areas. This result in loud and inefficient cooling.

So, basically an big...loud...hot mess.

The G5 overcomes a lot of these shortfalls....unfortunately for some they lose out on a nice benefit of a little more internal capacity.

Still, I think given all the requirements the machine needs to fill they did quite well.

The G5 is already big and I imagine it would be even larger if it housed and additional Optical and/or HD bays. Probably an additional zone identical to the current top one if it were to be effective.

I would have had a suggestion though.

I would have placed the PSU at top where the 2 SATA drives are and place the SATA drives at the bottom of the machine. I think 4 (or at least 3) would have fit abreast in the pop-in style design they used. There may have been some weight or other factors I am not aware of that prevented this though. And there still would have been only 1 Optical.

OK... that was pointless!