control iTunes from a PC?

zozo
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Anyone know of this possibility?

I read about a version of iHam on Rye for Windows, but havent found it. I emailad the author, but nada yet.

My colleagues want to control my iTunes... especially since I left the office today and the screensaver came on, had a lock on it, and the music kept playing. An hour later I found 3 people trying to desperately shut off the music

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    If they just want to turn it off then they can plug in a set of headphones (probably just a headphone adaptor would work).
  • Reply 2 of 5
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    well, as they all (genrally) actually like my music, and its all horded on my Mac, theyd like to be able to turn music on and off, etc...
  • Reply 3 of 5
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    you could write some applescripts to do the trick. i dont know if they'll work behind the password'd screensaver though.

here's an applescript that would toggle play/pause:

Quote:

tell application "iTunes"

playpause

end tell

or for mute <-> unmute:

Quote:

tell application "iTunes"

set mute to not mute

end tell

edit: o, and i forgot: for them to work from afar, you would have to setup ssh or something, to allow the evil peecee users to get into ur comp and run the scripts. with a bit more technical knowledge you could set it up to be controlled through a webpage or something similar.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    malokatamalokata Posts: 197member
    There's always the icecast radio (icecast.org).
  • Reply 5 of 5
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    fyi, I contacted the author of iHam on Rye and he mentioned that a beta 2 of it for Windows should be available next month

This is good news