The Bring Back the Cube Online Petition

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
We, the undersigned, encourage Apple to reconsider it's decision to 'freeze' the Powermac Cube product line. The marriage of size, elegance, ease of use, and stunning attractiveness was before its time when it was first launched, but we believe that market conditions and advances in technology have come together to create the ideal time to re-launch and re-purpose a new Powermac Cube product for the teeming millions of loyal Apple users and customers. We believe the Powermac Cube is the 'missing link' product hinering Apple from achieving it's oft-stated goal to win over significant portions of the Windows-using community. A cheap, fast, and partially upgradable/expandable machine situated betwen the iMac and Powermac G5 by the best industrial design team on Earth is just what the doctor ordered.

http://www.petitiononline.com/mac_cube/petition.html

Tell a friend!

A single spark can start a prairie fire.....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 43
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Die.
  • Reply 2 of 43
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    Oh geez, who cares

whatever i signed anyway just to make you happy, do you really think Apple will listen to a petition, you know they do not except recomendations, product drawings or anything like that, it says in their privacy report.
  • Reply 3 of 43
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    I did not take a look at the link yet but i was wondering if you included a business plan with the petition?
  • Reply 4 of 43
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    They won't listen to a petition, and anyway, if they bring out a *new* cube, those of us who have old cubes will see the collector value of our machines drop like a rock.
  • Reply 5 of 43
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    I've signed!

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 6 of 43
    i, fredi, fred Posts: 125member
    Why would I include a business plan??? I am just a fan of the Cube, and a customer.

the odds of a petition succeeding? Probably unlikely. But what the hell, eh?

Jeez, you are all some sourpusses.
  • Reply 7 of 43
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    I'll support it Fred,

The Cube is a great unobtrusive 'puter. I'm still waiting for computers to shrink to the size of a gnat..or at least as close to it.

I mean eventually the laws of Diminishing Returns will negate the need to upgrade every component with a new purchase. For instance. I have a Powermac G6 in the future with an 8X DVD Burner. Why have a DVD Burner in every other computer in the house if I can utilize the one.

The Consumer Household is going to mirror the changes Business went through when Networking computers reduced the need load up every individual machine with components.

One Printer to Rule them all.

One Media Server to Rule them all.

Why not?
  • Reply 8 of 43
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    My point is that Everybody and their mother thinks apple should do X or Y seemingly without giving one second's thought to the business (and future of the company) ramifications of their opinion.

I think apple should give an imac to ALL inner city children for free.

I think apple should bring back the SE-30 with a G5 in it.

I think "pleather" should the the default skin of OSX.

See how silly things can get?

(PS. at least throw in some fancy numbers showing gross profits broken down by machine model. And expected sales for each model. If you are going to start a cube crusade and least make it look good! \
  • Reply 9 of 43
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    The Cube didn't fail because the G4 was slow, but because people didn't buy it. The G5 doesn't change the situation at all: people still won't buy such an expensive machine when it can't be extended at all. The iMac G4 is still there, btw, and I think its 17 inch display is more than sufficient for home use. As to business use, they want you to take the PowerMac series instead (notice that PowerMac G4s are very cheap now).

Petitions don't do anything but annoy Apple.
  • Reply 10 of 43
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Petitions don't do anything but annoy Apple.

and waste bandwidth...

id start an online petition to end online petitions... but then the idea would never be implemented...
  • Reply 11 of 43
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Forget it. I see no need for a cube right now. I would rather Apple concentrate their efforts elsewhere.
  • Reply 12 of 43
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    I do think that 90%+ of Powermacs have no PCI cards in them, and the remaining 10% have maybe one card in them. So I see room for a machine that has no PCI expansion, and thus is in a much smaller box.

1 (maybe 2) HD, four banks of ram, 1 processor in a small case that REFLECTS THE SAVINGS OF NOT HAVING PCI CARD SLOTS and limited upgradeability. 1499-1999 depending on specs.

Dunno about you cats, but I'd buy one.

But this topic is beaten to death.
  • Reply 13 of 43
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by I, Fred

Why would I include a business plan???

because when there was a cube it did horrible...do you think they stopped it cuz it did well?

u tell them how to make it sell...the'll do it
  • Reply 14 of 43
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Hey Fred,

I'll sign it as soon as you fix the typos.

We, the undersigned, encourage Apple to reconsider its decision to 'freeze' the Power Mac Cube product line. The marriage of size, elegance, ease of use, and stunning attractiveness was before its time when it was first launched, but we believe that market conditions and advances in technology have come together to create the ideal time to re-launch and re-purpose a new Power Mac Cube product for the teeming millions of loyal Apple users and customers. We believe the Power Mac Cube is the 'missing link' product hindering Apple from achieving its oft-stated goal to win over significant portions of the Windows-using community. A cheap, fast, and partially upgradable/expandable machine situated betwen the iMac and Power Mac G5 by the best industrial design team on Earth is just what the doctor ordered.
  • Reply 15 of 43
    kraig911kraig911 Posts: 912member
    Petitions work... plain and simple.
  • Reply 16 of 43
    i, fredi, fred Posts: 125member
    once you post the petition, you can't edit it.....i wish i had known that.

*sigh*

anyway, the business plan is to not let Steve price it at $1799. pretty much everything else was ok, imo.
  • Reply 17 of 43
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    I, for one, do not want the cube to come back. Instead, I wan't apple to focus on a 'real' headless workstation. I expect Apple would want to feature a G5 in any 'new' machine models, and, well, a fanless cube IS NOT getting a G5, and no, I don't want a 1.3Ghz 74xx in a new cube. I can get that from PowerLogix.

A new, tiny, headless machine? Yes. A new cube with a buttload of tiny fans? No.
  • Reply 18 of 43
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
  • Reply 19 of 43
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Damn, that's funny!
  • Reply 20 of 43
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    hahahahaha