Cinema Displays & Digital Audio Receivers

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Does anyone have any information on when new Cinema Displays might be released?

The current display line seems really outdated, and ripe for a revamping, i.e.:

1. An adjustable base. Maybe an arm like the imac arm? The iMac's adjustablilty really makes the Cinema Displays seem archaic. It could have a base shaped like an imac, but smaller and heavier (denser), and also be detachable for wall mounting.

2. More connectivity options: component video or s-video inputs, so that it could double as a TV.

3. A middle size: 19" is the obvious choice.

These features are pretty commonly available in the high-end LCD market right now, but it seems like an apple display with these features would be very competitive.

Also, has anyone thought about Apple releasing a Digital Audio Reciever? Apple has all the technology to do this already. Specs might be:

120 gig hard drive

Firewire, usb & Airport connections for linking to a mac

Digital Audio, Component Video, S-video, etc for connecting to a home theater.

It could handle music and video sources from a mac. The files would be stored on the hard drive on the device, so you could have a high frame rate. It could also use one of those rumored 2" color lcd screens for previewing/selecting videos...

How much would this cost? maybe $499? Would there be a market? As far as I know, none of the current digital audio receiver devices are designed to work with a mac...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    [quote]Originally posted by the bored designer:

<strong>

3. A middle size: 19" is the obvious choice.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

i'd like to have a 20" with 1600*1024 at 1300&euro;
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I've had a Cinema Display for over a year, and I have never had a need for a swivel base.

The precision backlighting on these screens make the display VERY heavy. I would hate to give up the elegant slim footprint in favor of a heavy swivel base and support arm.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    I agree, the ACD is fine the way it is. Can't see any reason to swivel it (YMMV)
  • Reply 4 of 7
    [quote]The precision backlighting on these screens make the display VERY heavy <hr></blockquote>

How heavy? I don't own one. Is it in the same ball park as a CRT 21"? or just heavy relative to other LCDs?

[ 12-20-2002: Message edited by: the bored designer ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 7
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
  • Reply 6 of 7
    The main thing Apple needs to do the their displays is REDUCE THE PRICE. They are out of wack with the current pricing of LCD dispalys. The 17" should be agressively priced at $499 to make the PM more attractive. The LCD market will be at about that price for 17" monitors by summer anyway. The second thing they need to do is add a VGA port to it so that if you have a dual monitor capable video card you can add a second Apple monitor to your set-up rather than buying another brand and mismatching your well designed system.

I agree that the 20" is a better fit, the 19 is just a little to close in size to the 17", and not close enough to the 23". Again agressive pricing at around $999. Apple should be getting some benefit from their past deals with Samsung.

The 23", keep it the same, just lower the price.

As for the Digital Audio Reciever, that is better left to Phylips and Sony, let Apple reap the benefits from them adopting Apple's Randevue (sp), ip over Firewire, and iSync technology, this will ultematly make Apple's computers more attractive. Also if Sony and Phylips are advertising the technology using Apple names (instead of confusing the issue like iLink and Firewire) then it is free advertising for Apple, and you cant beat that with a stick. Apple charges them a consulting fee to get it all working correctly, and gets free advertisement.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Indeed, it is nothing like the weight of a CRT that size. I blew out my back trying to put my old Apple studio display in its new owner's car. I just meant that the Cinema Display is heavier than it looks, and it would take a really big ugly swivel stand to suspend it properly. And, like I said, it is perfect and elegant the way it is.

[ 12-20-2002: Message edited by: NShirkey ]</p>