Showing off Mac OS X

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'm working at my school for the summer and I'd like to take some time to show off some really cool features of Mac OS X to the network admin and a couple other people. I plan on showing off QT/Streaming Server/Broadcaster. The capabilities of Quartz Extreme via Cool Backgrounds. X11, OpenOffice, Ethereal (packet sniffer), Terminal, Apache, FTP, and hopefully connect to the network. (The Mac lab on separate from the network (she doesn't like AppleTalk and they run OS 9 still, and I can't get it into her she doesn't need too and that I don't like AT either). I really wish I had Panther since everything sounds so much improved.

What I want from you is suggestions of features to show and how and what programs to use. The librarian owns a PowerBook and uses it on the network all the time. And I plan to use my PowerBook come January to log on. There will always be a healthy cell in this virus infested area.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    i'd show MS office too if you show them openoffice or at least mention it so they dont think they have to use that...so they know they can use what they are used to probably
  • Reply 2 of 10
    macserverxmacserverx Posts: 217member
    This is the Graphics lab (the only reason it's Mac) so I don't have a copy of Office. They use Corel Painter and Adobe Image and Page Layout software. The lab has about 20 Quicksilvers and 5 new MDD (fairly new, they arrived a couple weeks before school was out so latest rev.)
  • Reply 3 of 10
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Two apps I use that have made people go "Holy... what is that?"

Keynote and OmniGraffle. Get OG 3.0, and wow 'em.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    chromoschromos Posts: 191member
    Print to pdf from any app.

[edit] Printer sharing via Rendezvous is cool too. Hell, anything Rendezvous is cool.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

Two apps I use that have made people go "Holy... what is that?"

Keynote and OmniGraffle. Get OG 3.0, and wow 'em.

keynote would wow them i bet
  • Reply 6 of 10
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Too bad you can't show Office, that's an important app.

1. It's an OS 9 lab? Just work with OS X on a computer where they can see you're busy on it, then after a month or so open the terminal and type "uptime". 8)

2. Perhaps a cool screensaver to show off OS X's graphics? I like Euphoria and Fluid for this purpose.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    gee4orcegee4orce Posts: 165member
    Knock up a network diagram in Omnigraffle - Admins love that kind of stuff, and you can guarantee that OG will produce something that's light years better than the current Visio POS they've got stuck to the wall....

...then link each of the machine icons in the diagram to the actual machine on the network using the Link panel in OmniGraffle.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    smirclesmircle Posts: 1,035member
    If you can connect the machine to the net, don't forget to browse the Windows workgroups showing her how easy she can integrate Macs in a SMB network.

If she is a Unix head, show her the network tools from /Applications/Utilities/, if she is a windows-gal, don't.

Show her print to PDF and then import the PDF back into photoshop.

I wouldn't try to pull a Steve on her trying to show translucent terminals and other UI-candy, because that is not relevant to the workflow after all.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    macserverxmacserverx Posts: 217member
    The QSs came with 10.0 installed and I did a project (long story) on learning OS X Server and the one I had available was 10.1 so I upgraded one computer to 10.1 for the presentation I had to do to pass. I leave most of them with 10.0 for legal and just to see how I ever lived with it. Compared to Jag... molasses.

Anyway, so they run OS 9 versions of Photoshop, Illustrator, Painter. I don't think they have any carbon versions unless the new ones came with the latest stuff. I don't take the class so I don't know what all is on them.

I think I'll do some Apache/file sharing demos.

Does anyone know whether the microphone for a Performa 6320 would work as one for MDD? That'd be fun just to play with. Writing some AppleScripts and put them in the Speakable items folder and start having a conversation with the computer.

It's not so much the eye candy it's the fact that it does all of this out of the box. We plug in monitors at work and it tells us there's new hardware that needs configured.

My mom asked me how to upload pictures from the digital camera. I said "Plug it in" "Do I need to open iPhoto?" "It does that automatically. That is how dumb you have to be." (Sorry if I offended anyone, but this is AI and if you can't do that, you're not enough of of a Mac junkie.)

That was kinda on topic.

The admin is going for SQL training but I still haven't figured out how to do a simple database so I don't want to attempt that.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    junkyard dawgjunkyard dawg Posts: 2,801member
    Quote:

Originally posted by macserverX

The QSs came with 10.0 installed and I did a project (long story) on learning OS X Server and the one I had available was 10.1 so I upgraded one computer to 10.1 for the presentation I had to do to pass. I leave most of them with 10.0 for legal and just to see how I ever lived with it. Compared to Jag... molasses.

These people still run 10.0? Oh man, no wonder they don't like OS X there. 10.0 was unusable IMO, and I consider myself an OS X FREAK now. I didn't begin using OS X full-time until 10.1.

You say you keep them at 10.0 for "legal", what do you mean by this? Do you know that 10.1 was a free update? AFAIK, there should be no problem with updating all the Macs to 10.1.4, which is a damn nice release IMO.

I'm still floored that there are people out there running Mac computer labs, in a school no less, using OS X, 10.0. Don't these people know that 10.2 would transform their Macs into new, usable computers?

Anyways, maybe you should ditch the apps and start with a presentation on how to update any version of OS X to the most current version. You could discuss online shopping, different shipping methods, insertion of CD-ROM into CD tray, point and click, archive and install, Software Update (how to press button), and finally the About This Mac window and all it's bells and whistles (system profiler, too).

Damn, some people....