Panther and Inkwell

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
All you developer preview users: How is Inkwell in Panther? Any improvements?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    I think it should have been called Inkwelljustincaseweintroduceatablet.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    jammjamm Posts: 37member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Hobbes

I think it should have been called Inkwelljustincaseweintroduceatablet.

Ahhhhhhhh.... American Humor - there nothing like it
  • Reply 3 of 16
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Thanks! All my hours of hard studying in my American Humor classes weren't for naught.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    soooo,

When will InkWell mean something?
  • Reply 5 of 16
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Is it in Panther, improved or not?

I know the Ink Preference pane is dynamic, thus we haven't seen it in any screenshots...so has anyone plugged in a tablet yet?

Please let us old Newton-heads know
  • Reply 6 of 16
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Do you want to buy me a tablet? If you would, I'd plug it in, and I could show you the Ink pref pane

I tried forcing it to appear by copying it out of the System folder and putting it inside my user folder, but no dice. Sorry. Anyone know how to force it to appear?

Edit: After playing around a little more, I've found the InkDefaults.xml file, and the InkServer app. Here's a screenshot of the InkServer... I don't know if it's any different from 10.2. Oh, wait. From the InkServer, there is a command to open Ink Prefs. That forced the PrefPane to come up. Here are shots:

The Preferences.app with the Ink pane

The Settings Tab

(The Options Button sheet from that tab)

The Gestures Tab

The Word List Tab

The "Ink Server"

The Ink Menu item

Oh, and the recognized languages are English, French, and German
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

Anyone know how to force it to appear?

No, but I'm partially satisfied/relieved that it's even there in the System Folder at all.

I was just dreading them "Open Doc"'ing it...and pretending it never existed.

For that matter..."Newtoning" it.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Oops. See my edit

I suppose I should have posted again. Oh well.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Hey thanks,

Glad I checked again. Now I can sleep

Seems largely unchanged but I like the new menu icon (pretty sure that's new)...

Damn, those new tabs and rounded containers look handsome.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

No, but I'm partially satisfied/relieved that it's even there in the System Folder at all.

I was just dreading them "Open Doc"'ing it...and pretending it never existed.

For that matter..."Newtoning" it.

At least the Newton was an actual product I for one refuse to believe that CyberDog ever counted as a product

OpenDoc was very cool though. I'd like to see objects make a comeback in OS X. There were actually people doing some really cool stuff with OpenDoc...
  • Reply 11 of 16
    philrobinphilrobin Posts: 62member
    I have been playing with a bit a the new features are :

- the choice of language

- the .menu, so you don't need the floating window
  • Reply 12 of 16
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

Oh, and the recognized languages are English, French, and German

How convenient. Those are the three languages I speak fluently. Now I just have to procure a tablet and a copy of Panther. I'm curious to see how well Inkwell will handle accents and Umlaute.

I'm delighted to see that Panther will bring us a Menu Item for Ink. Palettes are more for occasional use. A Menu Item signifies that Apple intends us to use Inkwell anywhere and everywhere. Maybe there is an Apple Tablet after all.

Escher
  • Reply 13 of 16
    thebimbothebimbo Posts: 29member
    You can be sure that umlaute and accents etc are handled by Inkwell(*) as the technology comes from the Newton where the Rosetta engine (letter-by-letter) recognition handled these perfectly. Most users of the Newton 2K series preferred this engine to the Parasoft (word-by-word engine) cursive engine that was in the Newton 1xx series from the beginning and the reason for "egg freckling" doomsbury jokes. In the 2K models this still optionally available and also way better as the word list included in ROM was dramatically increased. Indeed, in some situations e.g. writing an essay with common words this engine would be better but for standard Newton use e.g. entering new names, writing meeting notes etc. the Rosetta was way better.

* You probably only need to enable accents by clicking on "Recognize Western European Characters" in Inkwell settings. Why is this a setting - well with it off it needs to look only for the 255 characters of the ANSI character set so would be a touch faster

>> I'm curious to see how well Inkwell will handle accents and Umlaute

Kind of looks as though I'm the Newton expert here ;-)

I'd buy a PB immediately if there was some built-in hardware to use inkwell. I know everyone is thinking Tablet a la Microsoft but anyone considered a larger more sensitive trackpad that could be used as a wacom-like tablet for inkwell input...?? This would be way cheaper and would not require any changes to the PB hinges! Hmmm....
  • Reply 14 of 16
    thebimbothebimbo Posts: 29member
    Oops forget something for u geeks... Parasoft was bought out by Microsoft and is used in PocketPC's. I've got a Tosh e570 and have to say the HW recognition on the Newton i.e. Rosetta (now Inkwell) was way better... and have now gone back to my chipped Newton 2100... which now has Newtsync to sync to AB and iCal vs. PocketMac which never worked!
  • Reply 15 of 16
    does this mean i will be able to annotate a PDF document?
  • Reply 16 of 16
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Quote:

Originally posted by LoCash

At least the Newton was an actual product I for one refuse to believe that CyberDog ever counted as a product

CyberDog must be lying around on a CD somewhere near me, so, I'd count it as an actual product...