Moved to GD: Can Apple ever increase its market share?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Yeah, I know many on the Mac forums will be ecstatic when Apple releases Powermacs with the 1.8gig IBM processor, but will it help Apple to increase its market share?

Unfortunately I don't think so as this portion of an article from MacWorld attests, consumers will not think a 1.8gig processor will compete with what will probably be a 3.6gig Intel P4, even if the Mac is close in speed.

Lets face it the consumer is used to clock speed to distinguish which is the fastest processor, I don't know if this will ever change.

----------------------------------------------

As part of its 10-K filing, Apple must outline factors that may affect the company's future results and financial condition. SEC regulations require Apple to outline just about any plausible circumstance where it might suffer adverse financial conditions. While Apple specified general economic conditions, the competitive nature of the personal computer marketplace, and myriad other factors, the company also noted an issue that has long been a sore spot for Mac enthusiasts and industry analysts familiar with Apple's products -- the clock speed deficit that its systems suffer compared to their Intel-based competitors.

"[Apple] believes that many of its current and potential customers believe that the relatively slower MHz rating or clock speed of the microprocessors it utilizes in its Macintosh systems compares unfavorably to those utilized by Windows-based systems and translates to slower overall system performance. There have been instances in recent years where the inability of the Company's suppliers to provide advanced G4 and G3 microprocessors with higher clock speeds in sufficient quantity has had significant adverse effects on the Company's results

[ 12-22-2002: Message edited by: Fran441 ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    I couldnt be bothered reading your whole post. So I will just answer the post of this topic.

No. I am sorry to say it but Apple Will probably never increase it's market share greatly. Yes it will increase slowly over the years but it wwill never increase so greatly that it will overtake the PC market.

Just my .02
  • Reply 2 of 2
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Moving to General Discussion.