PowerBook G4 won't shut down

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
The other day my sister brought her PowerBook to me in a catatonic state of sleep. I pulled the battery and that worked well enough. Today my sister brings it to me again and it won't shut down.

The PowerBook shuts down, but it immediately restarts again. In addition, with the power adapter plugged in, the battery indicator gets stuck while 'calculating' the recharge time.

Anybody run into this before?

I'm going to try to reset the PRAM and Open Firmware now.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Silly reply but is the power button stuck in a corner, my imac had that happen a few times, the lip just got stuck, you could tell it was but it was enuf to wig it out..
  • Reply 2 of 5
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    No, not stuck...
  • Reply 3 of 5
    altivec_2.0altivec_2.0 Posts: 995member
    Update firmwire, if that doesn't work. I'd backup and reformat. Put a fresh copy of Jaguar on.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by Altivec_2.0

Update firmwire, if that doesn't work. I'd backup and reformat. Put a fresh copy of Jaguar on.

Firmware was up to date. I booted it off my emergency FireWire HDD and the same thing happened. I zapped the OF and PRAM. Nothing worked. It's sitting in the Palo Alto Apple Store now waiting to make the trip to Austin for a new logicboard.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Wow...

I took it to an Apple Store on Thursday (7/3) and it was ready for pick-up yesterday evening (7/8). Very impressive considering they had to completely replace the main logicboard.

The Mac Genius at the Apple Store asked me if I cared about the contents on the HDD. I said I had everything backed up. Maybe that helped because the HDD did end up being wiped...

Anyway, Thursday to Tuesday is impressive considering the weekend and the 4th of July. That's basically 2 business days.