Do the displays now support USB 2.0?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I was reading the apple tech article on the G5 and found this interesting quote:

"The three external USB ports and the port supporting the Apple display comply with the Universal Serial Bus Specification 2.0. The two ports on the keyboard comply with the Universal Serial Bus Specification 1.1 Final Draft Revision."

So does this mean the the hubs on the back of the monitors support USB 2.0 now?

If not- why would they go and say that the keyboard supports 1.1 and not include the monitors too?

Its on page 35 if you want to read for yourself.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    More evidence that new displays are on the way. Hopefully new Pro keyboards as well.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    mggmgg Posts: 124member
    I just recived my 17 in. Apple display yesterday morning. I ordered it with my G5, but of course the G5 isn't coming for a while so they sent the display as soon as possible. Right now I am looking all over it and can't find any thing about the usb 2.0 ports in the manuals. I don't think that this display has it, but possibly on the displys to come. I mean why wouldn't they??
  • Reply 3 of 8
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    I dunno. Wouldn't they want firewire on their displays and keyboards before they put USB 2 on there? It seems like they would want to push firewire up to desk level more than they would USB 2... especially since they are competing specifications.

Maybe there will be both USB 2 and firewire on the Keyboards and displays
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by bauman

I dunno. Wouldn't they want firewire on their displays and keyboards before they put USB 2 on there? It seems like they would want to push firewire up to desk level more than they would USB 2... especially since they are competing specifications.

Maybe there will be both USB 2 and firewire on the Keyboards and displays

Who builds a Firewire keyboard? I don't think I can saturate the bandwidth of a FW keyboard with my typing. Heck, I can't saturate a string with a tin cup with my typing.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tacojohn

I was reading the apple tech article on the G5 and found this interesting quote:

"The three external USB ports and the port supporting the Apple display comply with the Universal Serial Bus Specification 2.0. The two ports on the keyboard comply with the Universal Serial Bus Specification 1.1 Final Draft Revision."

So does this mean the the hubs on the back of the monitors support USB 2.0 now?

If not- why would they go and say that the keyboard supports 1.1 and not include the monitors too?

Its on page 35 if you want to read for yourself.

Isn't the port dependent on the controller at the other end?

A USB port is a USB port, so I don't find it impossible that the displays support USB 2.0 (or HiSpeed as it should be called) if they are connected to the USB 2.0 controller in the PMG5.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Isn't the port dependent on the controller at the other end?

A USB port is a USB port, so I don't find it impossible that the displays support USB 2.0 (or HiSpeed as it should be called) if they are connected to the USB 2.0 controller in the PMG5.

The problem is that the displays aren't simply like a USB extension cord -- they have active USB hubs built in, and if the hubs are only built to handle USB 1.1, I don't think they will work for USB 2.0.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    beigeuserbeigeuser Posts: 371member
    It's been a while since I saw a hub that isn't USB 2.0 compatible. I use a USB 2 hub at home as a USB 1 hub. Perhaps apple silently switched over the monitors to a USB 2 chipset at some point. USB 2 chips are probably cheaper than USB 1 stuff nowadays.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

(or HiSpeed as it should be called)

yeah, see, that's the problem. It shouldn't be called that. God, whoever came up with this name change needs to be shot, castrated, hung, publicly beaten, shot a few more times, fed to some exotic carnivore, the waste recovered, shot some more, and then burned.

HiSpeed, Full Speed. What's next? TurboSpeed? God, I can't even keep it straight. I was talking to a friend the other day, and we couldn't remember which was which. We just reverted to the version numbers. I'm sorry, but changing the nomenclature this late in the game is plain idiotic.