74MB for a pdf reader? DAMN!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
i was cleaning out my HD and was sorting thru an old backup i had while viewing everything by size, and i happened to notice that acrobat reader was twoards the top of the list at ~74MB. does reading a pdf need that fat of an app? i know ms seems to think that typing a paper should be the most processor intensive task ur computer should do, but i thought adobe was on top of things. By contrast, Preview is only 1.6MB.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    qaziiqazii Posts: 305member
    I noticed a similar thing a while ago. I deleted it and reinstalled, and it was much smaller.

Preview is probably really small as it hooks into OS X's PDF rendering services.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Yup, in fact the actual executable inside Preview is a whopping 128kB.

That's *kilo*bytes.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    thunderpoitthunderpoit Posts: 709member
    so acrobat "grows"?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Maybe that's why it takes longer to start up than almost any other app I have. Even M$ apps start up faster! It's almost half a minute or something. Seems longer than watching the movie Beaches (if you've seen it you know what I'm talking about! Girls have no taste in movies. Kidding...)
  • Reply 5 of 7
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ThunderPoit

so acrobat "grows"?

Rather "bloats" .
  • Reply 6 of 7
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    I can't wait for Panther, so I can stop using Acrobat so much.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    What is really funny is that buried in the Reader app is the Acrobat reader classic application which is 7.6 MB.

Right-mouse click on app --> Show Package Contents --> Mac OS Folder --> Classic Application.

Go Figure.

\