Price comparision for Minimum Business machine.

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Spec for low end Workstation: - $1770

? 1.6GHz PowerPC G5

? 256MB DDR333 SDRAM (PC2700) - 2x128

? 80GB Serial ATA - 7200 rpm

? NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra

? Combo Drive (CD-RW/DVD-ROM)

? Apple Keyboard & Apple Mouse - U.S. English

? Mac OS X - U.S. English

* Took Modem out and downgraded to Combo drive.

Dell Precision 340 - $1641

? Pentium 4 Processor, 2.00GHz, 512K Full Speed Cache

? 256MB PC800 ECC RDRAM - 2x128

? 80GB ATA-100 IDE, 1 inch (7200 rpm)

? NVIDIA Quadro2 EX?, 32MB, VGA

? 48X CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive

? Windows® XP Professional with Media

Items added to match Apple's Spec.

? Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 Digital Sound Card

? Enhanced Performance, USB (8 Hot Keys)

? Logitech®, USB, Optical (2-button, w/scroll)

? Intel PRO/1000 XT, Gigabit PCI NIC

? 1394 Controller (this is questionable as it is not stated if the Mobo has it builit in or not)

Items taken out to match Apple's Spec.

? 3Yr Same Day 4Hr Response Parts + Onsite Labor

? No monitor

? PS/2 Keyboard and mouse, replaced with lowest priced USB

? Modem

Well Apple's entry level is more expensive. They need to work on the better On-site service for big clients. Which they cannot provide.

But if you look at the specs. You get:

1. Faster Drive - Serial ATA vs only ATA 100

2. Bigger Memory on the Graphic Card - 64 MB vs 32MB

3. Built in Sound - Digital & Analog vs Analog with Digital Card.

4. Faster Memory - PC2700 vs PC800

with Apple's Entry Workstation.

I think if I tried to match the price of these things on Dell, I think the price might be little bit more even.

Yes, I know Digital Sound is not a necessary but if its on the Mac then it goes on the machine. And I would buy the monitor from Dell as they are cheaper.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    Of course, the Powermac has gigabit ethernet onboard too. No PCI slots used.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    ensign pulverensign pulver Posts: 1,193member
    Future Hardware?
  • Reply 3 of 27
    zazzaz Posts: 177member
    YADPCP

(Yet Another Dell Price Comparison Post)

If they come within 10-15% it is a huge win... price is not the sole defining factor...
  • Reply 4 of 27
    kurtkurt Posts: 225member
    Please lock this thread!!!!!
  • Reply 5 of 27
    michaelbmichaelb Posts: 242member
    Snazzy brushed aluminum case: $150

FireWire 800 built-in: $100

Not having to use Windows XP and sort out DLL conflicts: priceless
  • Reply 6 of 27
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Most of the price comparison threads I see are Mac centric. That is, someone picks a 'sweet spot' in the Mac lineup and tries to configure a Dell to be similar.

I'd like to see someone 'build' the sweet spot Dell and see how Apple compares to that machine.
  • Reply 7 of 27
    Quote:

Most of the price comparison threads I see are Mac centric. That is, someone picks a 'sweet spot' in the Mac lineup and tries to configure a Dell to be similar.

I'd like to see someone 'build' the sweet spot Dell and see how Apple compares to that machine

I would if I were to justify my purchase of a Dell machines, but since I don't and I do have to do this for a Mac, it was done. Also I don't think I did any "sweet spot" juggling for the G5, I took out two things that I didn't need in our office. Modem and Super Drive. And these are the specs that I want to order from Apple.

Items such as Memory and Monitor, I can get a better price from other vendors.

Quote:

Please lock this thread!!!!!

Please don't read the thread then, if the Administrator feel that this is in a wrong forum or inappropriate, they will deal with it. And your use of 5 exclamation points really do make a big difference.

Thank you for reading anyway.

Quote:

If they come within 10-15% it is a huge win... price is not the sole defining factor...

Not really worried about the price, I think its a great price for what you get. I don't think this will be opposed as much as previous Mac by the CTO and IT manager. Specifically when you figure the performance advantage it will have.

Quote:

Future Hardware?

It's not out yet, so I put it here.
  • Reply 8 of 27
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    We are all aware of the specs and price comparisons.

Perhaps, you should let us in on why you are posting this. What exactly is it you want? Are you looking for feedback? What?
  • Reply 9 of 27
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by I.P.Freely

I would if I were to justify my purchase of a Dell machines, but since I don't and I do have to do this for a Mac, it was done. Also I don't think I did any "sweet spot" juggling for the G5, I took out two things that I didn't need in our office. Modem and Super Drive. And these are the specs that I want to order from Apple.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be critical of you. I was speaking in general about the price wars. I was just thinking that I wish Apple was clearly level with decent PC pricing.

I'm with you, that is, I don't need to price PCs. Mac prices are all that matter.
  • Reply 10 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

We are all aware of the specs and price comparisons.

Perhaps, you should let us in on why you are posting this. What exactly is it you want? Are you looking for feedback? What?

Why am I posting this? Why are you responding to a mysterious posting?

I don't know maybe people might wanted to know. I did this at work on Thursday. Also I'm not going to make assumption that everybody know everything already. Maybe this helps one person, that's more then what you did.

Also lot of people don't realize that Dell has a great support system, which I feel Apple needs to emulate to compete in corporate market.

Their 4 HR response time agreement is only $199, but it cost $249 for extended Apple Care.

But what I wasn't looking for was your comment.

If you got nothing to say, how about not saying anything.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Easy there. I was just asking. And now have the answer. Thanks for stopping by. Good night.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    wrong robotwrong robot Posts: 3,907member
    Does anyone have any compiled price comparisons?

either a thread or some online site, or something, that gives the 3 g5 models against similarly configured PCs(gateway, dell, alienware..etc)

I did a little myself, and to get a system more or less on par with the dual 2.0, I could not find any that were cheaper than apple, except for one dell that I configured, that was a little cheaper but lacked a few features.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by iPeon

Easy there. I was just asking. And now have the answer. Thanks for stopping by. Good night.

Well you're welcome for playing the game. Enjoy your parting gift and have a nice night
  • Reply 14 of 27
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Minimum business machine? For what kind of use? We use this.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by JLL

Minimum business machine? For what kind of use? We use this.

Its a publishing company.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    SOmeone should code a web page where you could configure a Mac and a Dell side by side and get the price right away. I guess it could be done by getting the info right from their stores...
  • Reply 17 of 27
    Quote:

Originally posted by michaelb

• Reply 18 of 27
    alpha macalpha mac Posts: 463member
    Quote:

Originally posted by michaelb

• Reply 19 of 27
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Alpha Mac

I thought those Damn Lame Libraries were part of the Windows Experience
  • Reply 20 of 27
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:

Originally posted by I.P.Freely

Its a publishing company.

Your title to the thread is misleading then. I dont even think that this computer would be a minimum in the publishing industry anymore. For production uses the 17" iMac is a competant computer, though I personally wouldnt want to use a 17" monitor for page layout. Most people looking at the thread title would be thinking in the price range of the iMac or e-Mac, where I dont think Apple is competing nearly as well as they now are with the PowerMac.