john "hannibal" stokes (ArsTechnica) about the 970 benchmarks (link)

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
very interesting, found it here in an interview:

http://www.macnews.de/index.php?_mcnpage=6619

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    lemon bon bonlemon bon bon Posts: 2,383member
    Interesting read.

He would like the chip speeds up to 2.2 and 2.5 with on chip memory controller. And a 'beefed up' altivec.

Well, I guess it got beefed up with the added bandwidth at last!

I'm guessing the clock boost he's after will arrive by early next year if Jobs is serious about the 3 gig mark by next August.

All in all, a good read. He's just like us. Dying to get his hands on one.

He's not the only person who's 'excited'.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 2 of 11
    telomartelomar Posts: 1,804member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Lemon Bon Bon

He would like the chip speeds up to 2.2 and 2.5 with on chip memory controller. And a 'beefed up' altivec.

All of that is coming in fairly short order. I'm not sure what his definition of "beefed up" is for Altivec but IBM has some plans for it that will definitely improve matters.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    One web page interviewing another about a product none of them have had their hands on.

Just like journalists interviewing journalists...
  • Reply 4 of 11
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

One web page interviewing another about a product none of them have had their hands on.

• Reply 5 of 11
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:

'm not sure what his definition of "beefed up" is for Altivec but IBM has some plans for it that will definitely improve matters

The 970's Altivec unit is similar to the first G4, the original 7400s, rather than the more modern 745x G4s' Altivec.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Anders

I wouldn't generalize Hannibal as a simple "journalist." Conservative CPU whiz, maybe.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    klinuxklinux Posts: 453member
    I would consider Hanibal to be more of a CPU expert than ANYONE posting on this thread (or possibly this entire forum).

It is all too easy to dismiss others when you do not have factual proof that you know better.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    gizzmonicgizzmonic Posts: 511member
    Quote:

Originally posted by klinux

I would consider Hanibal to be more of a CPU expert than ANYONE posting on this thread (or possibly this entire forum).

It is all too easy to dismiss others when you do not have factual proof that you know better.

The PowerPC970 articles of his are full of conjecture masquerading as fact. I'm sure he's a smart person, but he sure doesn't hesitate to put forth his educated guesses as gospel truth.

And no, I'm not a CPU expert. I'm not even an engineer. I just know how to read critically...
  • Reply 9 of 11
    klinuxklinux Posts: 453member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Gizzmonic

I'm sure he's a smart person, but he sure doesn't hesitate to put forth his educated guesses as gospel truth...

Hasn't stopped anyone on this board yet.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Originally posted by klinux

Hasn't stopped anyone on this board yet.

Don't ya just love loops? Better jump out of it before it gets ya.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Spart

I wouldn't generalize Hannibal as a simple "journalist." Conservative CPU whiz, maybe.

I really didn´t say that he was did I?