I'm shopping for a computer desk!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm expecting a G5 soon, and I want to make a place for my aluminum beauty to be held above all other distractions in my room, so I have been shopping around for computer desks. Biomorph's solutions might as well cost their weight in gold (I'm sure that they are worth it, but I rather put more cash towards a computer rather than a desk- $1000?!), and I haven't seen many others that cought my eye. There was a desk at Staples (should I be reluctant shopping there?) that had punched holes that complement the G5 perfectly for $130, but although it seemed well built, I was a bit suspicious of its low price tag. See the desk here. Another desk by Z line (not designed for computer use, but very nice) was this one..

Any recommended brands/favorites that anyone can specify?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Hey, welcome back Placebo! I hope you didn't suffer from too much withdrawal!
  • Reply 2 of 33
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I think that my suspension was a blessing in disguise...but anyway, what desk is your mac sitting on, Bauman?
  • Reply 3 of 33
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    In the flesh both of those desks are very flimsy. I would not recommend them at all. I bought This one. To complete this I also bought This and this. I highly recommend it, plus it has a cool metal stand to put the G5 on. It is reasonable as far as price is concerned.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Those glass/metal desks from IKEA, Staples, and Office Depot are now much more affordable than before.
  • Reply 5 of 33
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

I think that my suspension was a blessing in disguise...but anyway, what desk is your mac sitting on, Bauman?

Heh, it's dorm modular furniture. Quite nice, but I don't think you would want it in your house.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    I have an awesome desk for my TiBook and MDD. It is an L shaped desk with blue glass top and silver framing. Here's a link to it. I got it at Office Max for $200

http://www.officemax.com/max/solutio...kOID=537078873

And here it is with my stuff on it.

http://homepage.mac.com/filmmaker2002/PhotoAlbum2.html
  • Reply 7 of 33
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    I've never spent more than $99 for a desk, and I've only bought them from places like Target or Staples. Unless you and some neighbors are going to be jumping up and down on it on a regular basis, I can't imagine why you'd "feel uneasy" at a desk from Staples or Office Depot.

They don't exactly fall apart or collapse on their own. I've never had a problem with anything like that I've bought from these stores. You say yourself that you'd rather spend the money on actual hardware and all, so do it. Set a ceiling of $150 (LOTS of very stylish, well-made desks are in that range and below...anyone saying otherwise is an idiot and is just wrapped up a bit in status symbol/brand stuff).

Sure, if you're well enough off and can afford "the good stuff", by all means...knock yourself out (I would). But any normal Joe, working schlub who spends as much on their desk as they do their computer needs their head examined.

Or a severe smack, just on principle.

I've actually come to like those cool glass and metal ones here lately, like filmmaker has.

Actually, my next desk is one of my own design, so that should be interesting!

• Reply 8 of 33
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

Actually, my next desk is one of my own design, so that should be interesting!

is it the one that looks like a tree and has the iSub at the base with "arms" for scanners and printers and the like? that was cool!
  • Reply 9 of 33
    It's been modified a bit, but yeah...it'll be kinda custom-tailored to how I work, how I arrange things, the peripherals I own (or plan on owning within 6-9 months time, etc.).

It's not for mass-production or for anyone else, so it's kinda cool that I can do it EXACTLY how I want it and don't have to take into account anyone's advice here about "the right way to do it".

I've priced the components and materials (high-grade pine, finishing, track runners, metal tubing, cable hose, hardware, etc. and it comes in WAY under $100. I mean WAY under.

I've got access to a buddy's workshop that would make Norm Abram quiver, and all the labor is on me, so no true "charge" on tools and labor. I'm waiting until I get my PowerBook and seeing what I'm going to do on a few other options to determine some final measurements and ideas.

So it's currently in a holding pattern.

• Reply 10 of 33
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Placebo, you forgot the Herman Miller Levity.

I'm looking for an adjustable-height desk and the $500 Biomorph looks like the best thing so far.
  • Reply 11 of 33
    I do dig the Biomorph stuff! Now THOSE are Mac-esque desks. Too bad they cost more than a mid-range iPod or decent digital camera.

• Reply 12 of 33
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by wmf

Placebo, you forgot the Herman Miller Levity.

I'm looking for an adjustable-height desk and the $500 Biomorph looks like the best thing so far.

Levity is dead. You wouldn't have been happy for the price anyways. Nice metal vertical construction, horrible cheesy plastic trays. The top isn't that nice either.

If you want a vertical solution, check out Webtree or Cap21 from Topdeq. Probably a bit more expensive than you want, but fairly well made.

All my computer furniture is from Bold. Nice stuff and VERY well made, but a bit on the pricey side. They custom-sized everything for me with no trouble, so I'm a happy customer. Plus, I'm a big fan of MDF.

If you're looking to do something on the inexpensive side, check out Home Depot. I've done some pretty nice things with a combination of EMT and galvanized.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    pscates, I'm thinking that's the third or fourth DIFFERENT signature I've seen adorning your well-written posts today...

• Reply 14 of 33
    It is. I've got a lot to say today. Sometimes it's best put forth in a sig.

The night ain't over yet...
  • Reply 15 of 33
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    One word JERKER

From Ikea, IMO best desk you can buy for the price. They have a computer style one, which is the one i have, and i have it decked out with 4 arm shelves and two side computer holders. Desk is $149 and shelves and computer holders are like 10 bucks each extra. http://media.ikea-usa.com/product_images/PE067105.JPG .

Then they have just a plain one for $69 http://media.ikea-usa.com/product_images/PE078748.JPG

available in beech, birch, and I think white

And yes i am an ikea junky, my apartment looks like a page out of there catalog
  • Reply 16 of 33
    Yes, IKEA rocks more than anything that has ever rocked before!!!

I've got quite a few items from IKEA in the storage/organization/lighting category! All are awesome.

I LOVES it. Unfortunately, I no longer have any nearby.

What I get for leaving SoCal.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    ti fighterti fighter Posts: 863member
    Heres a quick clie cam pic

and another

desk2

I recently moved in and I just re-aranged a bit, that's why none of the music stuff is pluged in right now
  • Reply 18 of 33
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    I must say, the Jerker desk I got from Ikea has me pleasantly surprised. I put it together yesterday and it is sturdy, provides a hell of a lot of space and was cheap. I'll post pics soon... Highly recommended.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    As soon as I saw this topic, I thought of those sweet glass/steel desks from Staples. Dude, if you get a G5, you HAVE to get one!!

I'm considering getting one because a) They're hella cheap, and b) it matches both my TiBook and future G5 tower...
  • Reply 20 of 33
    It's prolly cool too.