What if "Project" is next?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
There has been rampant speculation about iWorks (or whatever) and replacements for Word and Office.

Apple began by introducing Keynote, with the implication that presentation software could be done better.

Also Safari and a direct shot at IE.

Could Apple's next target be less frontal? Perhaps "Plan" or "Project". There is no Microsoft Project for Macintosh. And this is an application category that badly needs to be reconsidered. Microsoft Project (the "standard bearer" sucks badly).

Could this be the next move for Apple?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    what is project? heh
  • Reply 2 of 7
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

what is project? heh

With the "heh" not sure if you're being facetious or not. But I'll answer anyway...

Microsoft Project is project planning software for scheduling tasks, task dependencies, resource allocation, etc. It is used by (probably) every middle manager in business (at least in software development circles).
  • Reply 3 of 7
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    oh, cool. yeah i was being serious... shoulda put a " " in there

not a bad idea... kinda like a beefed up version of iCal...
  • Reply 4 of 7
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Personally, I've never thought a whole lot about Project as standalone software. It's basically a spreadsheet connected to a calendar, at least on paper. The spreadsheet is tracked relative to the calendar more or less. I suppsoe it is an appropriate frontend, but it would mostly use other frameworks and stuff under the hood. From that perspective, once Apple has a spreadsheet down, the rest is probably fairly quick to pull together.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Personally, I've never thought a whole lot about Project as standalone software. It's basically a spreadsheet connected to a calendar, at least on paper. The spreadsheet is tracked relative to the calendar more or less. I suppsoe it is an appropriate frontend, but it would mostly use other frameworks and stuff under the hood. From that perspective, once Apple has a spreadsheet down, the rest is probably fairly quick to pull together.

Very good point. Maybe this is the route they will take.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Been there, done that. I still have a copy (on floppies, probably) of Claris MacProject Pro somewhere. That rocked when it was new.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chris Cuilla

There has been rampant speculation about iWorks (or whatever) and replacements for Word and Office.

Apple began by introducing Keynote, with the implication that presentation software could be done better.

Also Safari and a direct shot at IE.

Could Apple's next target be less frontal? Perhaps "Plan" or "Project". There is no Microsoft Project for Macintosh. And this is an application category that badly needs to be reconsidered. Microsoft Project (the "standard bearer" sucks badly).

Could this be the next move for Apple?

I can't imagine the market for an Apple branded project management tool is all that large. There are a couple of good tools out there already for Mac OS X (can't think of their name though).