what about new power macs

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Well, we have heard it all before and I think it's safe to assume we will get no new 970 or Mot G5 powered machines this time round..

So what's your predictions for the noisy old P.Macs?

Its time for some update to the P.Mac line so what will we get? and when?

Will it finaly be real DDR?

Will we get machines that don't sound like the space shuttle taking off?

Will we get dual 1.5 gig 13y G4's?

I'm on the prowle for a new box.....gimme your advice please

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    [quote]Originally posted by rashumon:

<strong>Will it finaly be real DDR?</strong><hr></blockquote>

The memory already is. The bus won't be, but it should be faster.

[quote]<strong>Will we get machines that don't sound like the space shuttle taking off?</strong><hr></blockquote>

With the revised mobo and power supply fans (both available under warranty if you have an older model), the MDDs are reportedly no louder than QuickSilvers are. Unless they get really hot, at which point the "leaf blower" kicks in - but then you want it to.

[quote]<strong>Will we get dual 1.5 gig 13y G4's?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm expecting something in that neighborhood, along with some other interesting enhancements.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    1.5ghz G4s? I doubt it seriously. You'll be lucky to see dual 1.4ghz at most. Either way, I'd hold out for the 970.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    [quote]Originally posted by KidRed:

<strong>1.5ghz G4s? I doubt it seriously. You'll be lucky to see dual 1.4ghz at most. Either way, I'd hold out for the 970.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Now that you say that it really annoys me that we as still not able to get a mac over 1.5Ghz!

• Reply 4 of 21
    [quote]Originally posted by Amorph:

<strong>

With the revised mobo and power supply fans (both available under warranty if you have an older model), the MDDs are reportedly no louder than QuickSilvers are. Unless they get really hot, at which point the "leaf blower" kicks in - but then you want it to..</strong><hr></blockquote>

Dude, the MDDs ARE NOISY! way too noisy... QuickSilvers were too noisy as well, I use my mac for pro Audio and you need quiet machines for that... I can easily (and for less money) get P4 based near silent machine that will run circles around those MDDs and QuickSilvers in terms of performance... I cant stand the thought of switching to PC but Apple really are not doing enough to make those Pro-Macs competitive...

I'm dying for a new PMac and I dont even care if its a 970 or not I just want it to have a REAL DDR buss, decent clock speed (I gave up on beating wintel long time ago) and be quiet --- Is that too much to ask for?
  • Reply 5 of 21
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member

<strong> I use my mac for pro Audio and you need quiet machines for that... I can easily (and for less money) get P4 based near silent machine that will run circles around those MDDs and QuickSilvers in terms of performance... </strong><hr></blockquote>

Shouldn't you also care about latency?
  • Reply 6 of 21
    krassykrassy Posts: 595member
    [quote]Originally posted by JLL:

<strong>

Shouldn't you also care about latency?</strong><hr></blockquote>

agreed - mac os x offers ultra-low-latency...
  • Reply 7 of 21
    [quote]Originally posted by Krassy:

<strong>

agreed - mac os x offers ultra-low-latency...</strong><hr></blockquote>

And so does WinXP ... I hate wondows - OS X is an amazing OS with many plus points to it.... just give us the right hardware to run it on.....

Why does it have to take so long?...
  • Reply 8 of 21
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    PC's are cheaper and faster, you have to give them that Rashumon, but machines that are quiet, fast and reliable tend to cost as much as macs, if not more. Wouldn't any serious pro audio gear be external anyway? I don't think you should fancy putting line inputs, DAC's, A-D's etc... anywhere near the inside of any computer, not if you're doing professional work at any rate.

Which is not to say that they couldn't be quieter, but quicksilvers were no louder than any PC tower, so if Apple has tweaked the MDD's to the same level then it isn't an issue you can solve simply by using a PC.

Though you can save yourself a bundle!

[ 12-29-2002: Message edited by: Matsu ]</p>
  • Reply 9 of 21
    This is not the full truth Matsu:

If you buy a Dell you will get a little bit faster, cheaper and quieter machine.

I ordered a Dell 4550 lately. I got a P4 @ 2,53 GHz with 512 MD DDR @ true 166 MHz, a 120 GB HD mit 8 MB cache from WD, an ATI 9700, a Nec DVD burner, 3 Firewire ports, 6 USB 2.0 ports.

All for about 1280 EUR.

And it is very quiet. Almost quiet compared to a 400 MHz G4 model. Totally quiet compared to a dual G4.

With the exception of OSX there is no advantage for a Mac. And I therefor am still happy to switch to a PC. It saved me about 2000 bucks
  • Reply 10 of 21
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    You can't fault a deal like that! Oh well, someday Steve and co might learn. However, I was talking about a machine that was quiet enough for pro audio work, it would be pricey, if any machine could ever be quiet enough.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    OK. To be honest:

1) I own an iBook too.

It is the best portable computer today in my eyes and affordable too.

2) The Dell was a time limited Xmas special. If I want to buy this configuration now, I have to spend more than 1900 EUR. But for this price you just can get the dual 867 MHz G4 in standard configuration.

3) If I would like to make my Dell as quiet as the TFT iMacs I have to spend another 200 EUR for a better PS and an exchange case fan.

But nevertheless: Apple has a real big Problem. I have bought 18 Macs until now for myself and I wonder when an attractive Mac will come from Apple. I hope soon.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    What about 'new' 'power'Macs?

Stop dreaming. There won't be any 'new' ones until New York 2003 at the earliest.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 13 of 21
    "It saved me about 2000 bucks "

OUch.

You listening Apple?

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 14 of 21
    "1.5ghz G4s? I doubt it seriously. You'll be lucky to see dual 1.4ghz at most. Either way, I'd hold out for the 970."

Me too. I'm gagging for one.

Lemon Bon Bon
  • Reply 15 of 21
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    I am too, but I am damm sure I don't need all that power!
  • Reply 16 of 21
    "I am too,"

Tell me about it sugah, it's a male thing to be sure...

"...but I am damm sure I don't need all that power!"

Ah, we want it but can't handle it, eh?

Still, regarding the G5, I CAN handle all it can give me.

Lightwave Renders. Radiosity. Real-time previews. Geforce Fx, programmable graphic cards, Open GL 2.8...twin 970s...4 gig of ram...gurgle....give it to me...ah can take it all, honey...

LEmOBN BOnB
  • Reply 17 of 21
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Krassy:

agreed - mac os x offers ultra-low-latency...

---------------------------------------------------------------

<strong>

And so does WinXP ... I hate wondows - OS X is an amazing OS with many plus points to it.... just give us the right hardware to run it on.....

Why does it have to take so long?...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Not realy. XP gives you 10 ms latency tops, (with background processing on, else it's 50 ms).

OSX is 2.8 ms, without the need for background-processing tweaks. One of the benefits of CoreAudio
  • Reply 18 of 21

<strong>Dude, the MDDs ARE NOISY! way too noisy... QuickSilvers were too noisy as well, I use my mac for pro Audio and you need quiet machines for that... I can easily (and for less money) get P4 based near silent machine that will run circles around those MDDs and QuickSilvers in terms of performance... </strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually macs still have the upperhand with pro audio, which only got better with OS X. The latency is a fraction of what windows gives you (yes even XP). It's not just about hardware only, the OS your running on is important. I will never use a PC for ProTools as long as the latency issues are there. Not to mention theirs also a fraction of the HASSLE involved. And apparrently I'm not alone. I've yet to see a PC in a digital studio running the audio rigs.

Your voice does not echo that of the pro audio industry. Yes faster computers are always welcome, but to act as if it we were in some desperate situations. Macs are insanely fast, you can get a PC thats somewhat faster than that, big whoop, both fast.

[ 12-29-2002: Message edited by: WishIwasBlack ]</p>
  • Reply 19 of 21
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    [quote]Originally posted by WishIwasBlack:

<strong>I will never use a PC for ProTools as long as the latency issues are there. Not to mention theirs also a fraction of the HASSLE involved. And apparrently I'm not alone. I've yet to see a PC in a digital studio running the audio rigs.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually, the PC/Pro Tools combo is fairly common. When I started my current job about a year and a half ago the motion picture company that I work for had 25+ rigs running PC and Digi hardware.

Luckily, in my department, we switched over to QuickSilvers and we even have an Xserve running now.

Pro Tools sucks on a PC, but since many companies - especially large ones - seem to have lots of unused PC's sitting around, it saves them money (they think) by simply buying the Digi hardware and not having to shell out for a Mac.

Of course, maintainence of those PC's is a whole other story.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Well acording to a recent Apple Announcment they are keeping 1 OS 9 Boot Machine (G4 1,25Ghz DP) Where that machine will sit in the PowerMac Product Matrix will be intresting to know, as will the rest of the spec.

I think the new PowerMacs - which will definatly be announced at San Fran will be vast improvments over the current range