Vcd player

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hi

I'm a mac newb and I'm looking for a good vcd player for my 12" powerbook with superdrive. Could you please tell me some?

thanks,

cyc2222

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    vlc (ala. "Video LAN Client") works well with VCDs.

See here:

VLC media player 0.6.0
  • Reply 2 of 10
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    I'll second that. VLC has been a very good VCD player for me.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    cyc2222cyc2222 Posts: 6member
    I tried this one, but it didn't work quite well. It didn't play the movie without errors. May this happen because I burned those cds on my pc and not on my mac?
  • Reply 4 of 10
    gardnerjgardnerj Posts: 167member
    and i'll make it three. vlc is the way to go.

just seen your post about the errors. do you get these when playing the movie on your pc? were they specific error messages or just distortion/blocking...?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    cyc2222cyc2222 Posts: 6member
    There are distortions every few seconds.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by cyc2222

There are distortions every few seconds.

Yeah, I get that, too, with VLC on some SVCDs I have. The best is MacVCDX, but it will cost you. You need to buy this program, and Quicktime MPEG2 from Apple, but I can play any VCD with my iBook with this software.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    another option is MPlayerOSX, or mplayer (for X11). I'm pretty sure it can play vcds.

The distortion every few seconds may be due to low resources (ram, proc power). if you have some heavy applications running, you may want to close them to allow the vcd player of your choice a larger chunk of the pie.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    MacVCDX

^ is that program better than vlc/mplayer (despite being pay-ware) ?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Originally posted by badtz

MacVCDX

^ is that program better than vlc/mplayer (despite being pay-ware) ?

I'll repeat— SVCDs that stuttered using VLC on my iBook (600MHz) play perfectly with MacVCDX (+QT MPEG2).
  • Reply 10 of 10
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    If you have access to a machine that boots OS 9 then you can copy the file off of the CD and then open it in OS X (QuickTime Player).

Boot OS 9.

Insert the VCD.

Open QT Player.

Select Open movie in a new window.

Navigate to the CD.

Look around for the movie file. Usually it ends in .dat and is in a folder called AVSEG or MPGSEG or something like that. If you look at the disk in the finder use list view and simply look for the largest file. The movie files are usually over 300MB.

Open the file in QT.

Select Save As from the File menu.

Choose a place to save it to on the HD.

*IMPORTANT* Check the radio button "Make Movie Self Contained" near the bottom of the dialog window.

Click OK.

It takes a while but this will put a copy of the movie on your HD. Now you can move it to your PB and view it there with QT Player.