Career Development Questions

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I work on and fix PC's for a living.

I want to get out of this dead-end mode and do program development of some kind. Really, I want to something other than fix PC's. No matter what you hear in the ads, fixing PC's sucks!!! I should know, I 've been doing it for over 10 years now...

Anyway, I have a Ti G4 and I want to to use Unix and some programming language (C, C++, Java, etc...) it doesn't matter really which one I use b/c I don't want to limit myself to one language.

What I really need to do right now is learn HOW to program. Even though I have a Comp Sci degree and did most(all) of my programming in college (1991) I need to relearn it all over again.

This is all in the hopes that it will lead to a steady flow of high income. My day job so to speak.

My real dream is to create movies like Pixar. Learning how to develop should help in that regard. I'm also trying to learn Maya 4.5 and CG stuff too.

What will this all lead to? Hopefully Financial security and spiritual fullfillment(knowing I created something, stories and stuff, that people would enjoy watching)

Comments and Suggestions???

Everything helps, good or bad...It's tough to stay motiovated when you're sitting around all day changing toners and reinstalling XP on crap machines...ha ha ha ha!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by O-Mac

I want to get out of this dead-end mode and do program development of some kind. Really, I want to something other than fix PC's. No matter what you hear in the ads, fixing PC's sucks!!! I should know, I 've been doing it for over 10 years now...

Anyway, I have a Ti G4 and I want to to use Unix and some programming language (C, C++, Java, etc...) it doesn't matter really which one I use b/c I don't want to limit myself to one language.

What I really need to do right now is learn HOW to program. Even though I have a Comp Sci degree and did most(all) of my programming in college (1991) I need to relearn it all over again.

This is all in the hopes that it will lead to a steady flow of high income. My day job so to speak.

My real dream is to create movies like Pixar. Learning how to develop should help in that regard. I'm also trying to learn Maya 4.5 and CG stuff too.

What will this all lead to? Hopefully Financial security and spiritual fullfillment(knowing I created something, stories and stuff, that people would enjoy watching)

Everything helps, good or bad...It's tough to stay motiovated when you're sitting around all day changing toners and reinstalling XP on crap machines...ha ha ha ha!!!

i'm kinda in the same position only i havn't been fixing PC's for 10yrs, i need to make decisions for college! (man its scary making such big decisions about the rest of your life)

i am thinking programming or graphics maybe...falling back on marketing if i can't do either of those

i dont know if you enjoy programming like i do (even though i'm not the best) but i enjoy reading programming books and learning, i recently learned PHP (and by learned i mean read the book and am trying to master it now)

after my PHP book i am partial to O'Reilly books, perhaps they are not advanced enough for you though if you already has c++ programming in college
  • Reply 2 of 2
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:

Originally posted by O-Mac

I posted a similiar question on these boards a while back. Check it out at:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=23743

Good Luck