How do I get this crap out of my keyboard?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I was getting dust/crumbs/etc. out between the keys of my keyboard the other day when I turned the keyboard upside down and saw that similar debris had somehow lodged itself under the clear underside of the keyboard. I can't fathom how it got under there, but I want to get it out

Since I'm looking into selling my machine soon, I'd like it to be, you know, not disgusting. So how can I safely dismantle the keyboard to accomplish this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Pro keyboards are really bad about this. Every single one at school that I've seen has had this problem, as well as mine (which resides comfortably in the closet now.)

I'm trying to remember what site had a take apart (complete with images.) I had thought that I'd bookmarked it...but I'm not finding it. Might have died with OmniWeb...I may be getting back to you.

• Reply 2 of 8
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    if you follow the screws its pretty easy (just make sure to remember where they were, and dont lose them in the process). there are a lot of screws iirc (>15 i think). i dont remember what kind of heads they got on them, you can probably see them and tell. i think the top pops off, then the innards, and thats how you can get to the back.

one thing to remember, puting it back together can be tricky. some keys may not work if you dont properly align everything just right, and really tighten the screws (of course, dont strip or mangle them either). i've frustated myself on more than one occassion opening a keyboard in like 5 minutes and taking hours to put it back together. its almost worth the 60 or so Apple dollars to not have to deal with that.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    tetzel1517tetzel1517 Posts: 204member
    This page might be of use. Yeah, I know this is my thread, but for anyone else with a similar problem, it could be helpful. Thought I'd share the wealth.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    unless it changed i dont think thats the one i was thinking of

although it will work

i've done it when my bro spilled somethign on his keypad and it started sticking (needed cleaning anyways) its not that hard just keep a good memory of where u got suff (that site will help u figure it out)

heck u dont even need all the screws back in i ended up with 2...i knew where they went i just didn'tn see what the purpose of them was...my keyboard works fine and is clean now
  • Reply 5 of 8
    tetzel1517tetzel1517 Posts: 204member
    My only problem with that page is that it's for cleaning out a keyboard where you've spilled something on it, and need to get at every part of it.

I just need to get to the part immediately under the plastic on the underside of the keyboard. I wonder if there's a simpler procedure for doing that.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    Just be careful with the screws. I think I remember reading they are really cheap plastic, and break easily. \
  • Reply 7 of 8
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tetzel1517

My only problem with that page is that it's for cleaning out a keyboard where you've spilled something on it, and need to get at every part of it.

I just need to get to the part immediately under the plastic on the underside of the keyboard. I wonder if there's a simpler procedure for doing that.

uh...you have to deal with A LOT less screws to do what you want...you'll figure it out
  • Reply 8 of 8
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Most keyboards that don't have a scissor mechanism have pullable keys. I've no idea where you'd find a key puller, but mine looks like it would cost about 50p in a shop (free with some replacement keys that came with Macformat). They keys snap back on.

Alternatively, running credit cards along the gaps seems to pick up lots of debris.