Hard Disk update 1.0

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I came across this when i ran software update, the blurb says that it is designed to prolong the life of some hard drives but extreme caution is required before installation. Has anyone been brave enough yet? P.s Mods i couldn't work out out which was the apposite forum for this query, so I apologise in advance if necessary.

Edit- i suspect it should be in the genius bar but i'm too simple to have thought that in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    whoamiwhoami Posts: 301member
    i was thinking the same thing.

i can't afford to lose any data right now!

everything is working fine without it now, fuggit!
  • Reply 2 of 9
    fluffyfluffy Posts: 361member
    I applied it, and the update actually removed about 4GB of space from the disk, seemingly at random. After the update was finished I was able to access about 85% of my files, the rest were corrupted (including some System files). I restored the backup I made and everything runs fine (albeit with 4GB less space on my drive).
  • Reply 3 of 9
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    hmmm...

the studio where i used to work had 3 AGP G4 towers die -- all with hard disc failures over the past 12 months. we had noticed that the hard discs where spinning up too much. so this may fix it.

but no chance to back-up the data first then run it!
  • Reply 4 of 9
    alex londonalex london Posts: 613member
    I don't like the sound of that Fluffy, losing 4 Gbs is 10% of my audio drive. othello, is that a music or graphics studio? ( just being nosey)
  • Reply 5 of 9
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Yeah, Genius Bar sounds good... *boot*
  • Reply 6 of 9
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    haha i was not brave enough to update...i'm glad someone posted this...though i stil dont think i will
  • Reply 7 of 9
    fluffyfluffy Posts: 361member
    It should be noted that I applied the update to two drives, both Apple OEM. One lost 4GB and resulted in corrupted files (but otherwise the drive was fine), the other update was smooth and uneventful.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    pfflampfflam Posts: 5,053member
    I just hit update and luckily, i guess, I didn't need it and it couldn't be applied to my computer anyway

by the way, what's it all about?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    if it ain't broke, don't update it... thats the policy I'm going to follow for now. I'll be building a new system in a couple of months anyhow so I'll have the opportunity to doob it then...