Using an Xserve as a desktop/home network server?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I was thinking about getting an Xserve one day for use as a desktop or home network server. How loud do these things really get and how much can it be reduced? I am buidling a custom computer desk with built-in storage that can hold a couple items of 1U sized hardware, one of which will be a rack-mount UPS. I can soundproof it to some extent but these things need to suck in a lot of air, right? Any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    I wouldn't bother. They are REALLLY loud. just buy your self a dual g5 if you are going to spend that much.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TWinbrook46636

I was thinking about getting an Xserve one day for use as a desktop or home network server. How loud do these things really get and how much can it be reduced? I am buidling a custom computer desk with built-in storage that can hold a couple items of 1U sized hardware, one of which will be a rack-mount UPS. I can soundproof it to some extent but these things need to suck in a lot of air, right? Any ideas?

you need an Xserve for that?

hell, an old beige G3 should do that job fine
  • Reply 3 of 15
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I agree with the poster above who says it's loud. Note: Apple doesn't call the Xserve cooling "fans" they call them "Blowers" That should tell you alot right there.

Since space doesn't sound like the limiting factor here but sound may be. The G5 Tower might be your best option.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    a@rona@ron Posts: 201member
    Xserves are meant to be kept in a climate controlled server room not under a desk. That being said here is a comparison... Have you heard a MDD (FW800) on top speed? yeah its like that all the time. You might want to invest in a g4 cube or old g3. Set up OS X on it, run it headless in a closet and you're all set. My university will be getting rid of their cubes soon and replace them with iMacs, eMacs or PowerMacs and when that happens I will be at the surplus store in a heartbeat!

A@ron
  • Reply 5 of 15
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Yeah, an Xserve is more than overkill for home use. But since you're building a desk just for it, go right ahead.

XtremeMac makes a product called the Xrack...you could probably make something similar that is smaller. Just enclose everything with noise dampening materials...plexiglas for the front I suppose. Use some large diameter, low RPM fans to circulate air inside the case/desk.

Just remember that when you come here to complain about fan noise, that you brought this upon yourself.

If I were you, I would do something like I plan on doing. I'm going to build a case out of acrylic to house my iMac's mobo and power filter board, a small ATX PSU, and two drive bays. You can hook four drives to a Rev. A-D iMac. I plan on using chromed subwoofer ports for the air ducts, three of them actually (one each for the drive compartment, PSU, and mobo compartment. Mounted to the ports will be 80mm fans running at half speed, and either a full speed fan on the CPU itself, or a small water cooling unit (overclocking an iMac, hell yeah.)

Put it next to my sound system, and let it belt out MP3's and serve files all day long.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    I need a second vehicle to do my 24 kilometer round trip drive to work every day, so my wife can keep the good vehicle for her and the kids. The Ferraris are looking really sweet this year. (oohhh, Enzo...) Anyone know what kind of gas mileage they get?

• Reply 7 of 15
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

I need a second vehicle to do my 24 kilometer round trip drive to work every day, so my wife can keep the good vehicle for her and the kids. The Ferraris are looking really sweet this year. (oohhh, Enzo...) Anyone know what kind of gas mileage they get?

Isn't this a little OT? Did you post in the right thread?
  • Reply 8 of 15
    keyboardf12keyboardf12 Posts: 1,379member
    he was making a comparrison..
  • Reply 9 of 15
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

No, and yes.

(see above post)

• Reply 10 of 15
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by keyboardf12

he was making a comparrison..

I know. I was just playing stupid. I don't have 2500 posts here without understanding the whole car analogy...
  • Reply 11 of 15
    mggmgg Posts: 124member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

Ya, its just a figure of speech I guess you could say...comparing an xserve to a ferrari when he really wouldnt need either...It's like this: no-one would really buy a ferrari just for a quick extra car needed for a fairly short trip, and no-one in the right mind would buy a xserve for ordinary home use (even though they are pretty cool)
  • Reply 12 of 15
    alexanderalexander Posts: 206member
    Quote:

Originally posted by MGG

It's like this: no-one would really buy a ferrari just for a quick extra car needed for a fairly short trip

You don't know many Ferrari owners, do you?
  • Reply 13 of 15
    http://www.acoustilock.com/ makes some nice, small, soundproofed rack cases. They're expensive.

I have an OmniRax custom studio desk with 20U of space under the desk and 12U above it. I'm slapping in a 1U iMac chassis under the desk using a case from www.marathoncomputer.com. It will work fine as a server. and I would suggest you look at that solution as well. Xserve is definitely overkill, though it would be 'cool'.

The thing is, you could probably find an Xserve rather cheap in the next six to twelve months, so it becomes feasible... but I wouldn't keep an XServe in my desk... it really needs to be somewhere else, or in a professionally built soundproofed cabinet.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Sigh. I was thinking 24 to 36 months down the road so by then, hardly a Ferrari by any means. Still, it sounds like the noise level will be too much trouble to overcome.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I love how some threads absolutely jack-knife when a mod introduces something off-topic.