MIA: OS X Exchange Client

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
So, anyone know if there is a beta for the MS Exchange client?

"All quiet on the MAPI front".

OT: My 1000th post! And to think I could have went to Medical School!

Comments

• Reply 2 of 8

Yeah, and it doesn't scream 'ready for prime time' judging by the article. Does anyone know if the feedback from the beta testing is recent?

Besides the obvious 'features matching what's currently available in Outlook 2001' requirement, what I'd also like to know is; will we be able to auto-archive account content (mail, calendar, notes, tasks etc.) into a designated folder - same as Windows users?

So useful, yet completely overlooked in Outlook 2001.

In the end I had to jump onto a W2K box, configure each Mac user profile on the box, auto-archive each account, then copy each .pst file onto my mac share so I could back them up with everything else.

--

Tobes.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    Quote:

Originally posted by crazed_ebot

Yeah, and it doesn't scream 'ready for prime time' judging by the article. Does anyone know if the feedback from the beta testing is recent?

Judging by the article nobody (outside MS anyway) has seen hide-nor-hair of a beta build... The company I work for has been pushing MS very hard (and we spend quite a wad of cash on 'all things MS' each and every year) and even with that we still haven't seen a build yet.

Dave
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by DaveGee

Judging by the article nobody (outside MS anyway) has seen hide-nor-hair of a beta build... The company I work for has been pushing MS very hard (and we spend quite a wad of cash on 'all things MS' each and every year) and even with that we still haven't seen a build yet.

Dave

What the ... Microsoft to release pro and edu versions of MS Office?

http://www.macnn.com/news/20173.

Anyone know if they're releasing the Exchange version of Entourage on the 12th of August with the new versions? Maybe even a download for existing users? *sigh* Even if it doesn't sound like it's ready, I'm hoping for a miracle.

Tobes.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    vandewaalsvandewaals Posts: 450member
    Note also that the pro version will come with Virtual PC 6.01 w/ WIn XP Pro. Will this be available to those of us who upgrade to the new version from the current Office:X? What if (horror) the new Office is just the new version of office for Windows...and they're throwing VPC in so we can run it? No more native Office for OS X? Uh oh....
  • Reply 6 of 8
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    Bah--it's not, it's the same Office, and the MBU already committed to the next version of Office for Mac.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    dstranathandstranathan Posts: 1,717member
    <prediction>

I think MS plans on doing a "classic" mode for PC x86 apps using VPC.

It will be a slow roll-out, but down the road a couple years you can expect to run Windows apps exclusively in -duh-Windows (or VPC).

It will greatly reduce the need to develop for mutiple platforms. MS will just need to focus on (i.e.; cripple) VPC for OS X, and probably Linux, etc.

</prediction>

Mark my words. This is MS's "big gun" when Apple decides to make an "Office alternative"

IE is already RIP

Meanwhile, Apple is now coding iApps for Windows. Ain't that Ironic. Now will Apple make a "Virtual OS X" ?

But anyway, I NEED AN EXCHANGE CLIENT BAD. My company will be in OS 9 forever without a NATIVE Exchange client.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

But anyway, I NEED AN EXCHANGE CLIENT BAD. My company will be in OS 9 forever without a NATIVE Exchange client. [/B]

Yeah, I hear you. I really don't want to shift the office to OS X until I have a native Exchange client. But I will, if it means I can get people here on eMacs instead of (old) iMacs, and running Office vX.

T.