[?]What config/speed bump would trigger your PowerBook buying reflex?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I have to admit: I am waiting for a PB speed bump. Althought the current 15" is a very good deal, I do not intend to buy one: I WANT MORE! (Apple listen!)

I am on a Apple-buying boycot until I see faster PowerBook ... until then I will refrain from buying any Apple product (not even .mac membership renewal ;-) )

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    macusersmacusers Posts: 840member
    Al 15" 1.25Ghz would be awsome, i would buy it in a snap
  • Reply 2 of 14
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    What my choice would be isn't listed...

I have a 15" 800 MHz TiBook now. All it would take to get me to update is a little bit of improvement in the current 12" AlBook: Add a DVI port, add L3 cache, boost the speed and extend the battery life a little by using the 7457 version of the G4, and I'm there.

While not necessary to persuade me, I'd also like it if Apple goosed the display resolution just a little -- 1080 x 810 would be good -- so I still have around 768 vertical pixels left between the menu bar and the Dock.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    I don't get this 1.25 GHz stuff. If we get a new PB with a G4 in it, it won't be a 7455 with a 167 MHz bus so why keep mentioning 1.25 GHz?? An updated PB would use a 7457 with either a 133 or 200 MHz bus and the speed would be either 1.2 or 1.3 GHz. Of course, I could be wrong.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    A dual 17" would have my credit card out faster than you can say 'BNOYHTUAWB'.

Probably faster than that even.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    bnoyhtuawbbnoyhtuawb Posts: 456member
    Quote:

Originally posted by 709

A dual 17" would have my credit card out faster than you can say 'BNOYHTUAWB'.

Probably faster than that even.

... and your laptop would still be faster ...

Why not a dual CPU? If we get a new CPU with less heat emission, why speed bump it until it fries the case again (and the users hand on the palm rest), just use two (slower) CPUs. you'd still get an amazing machine ... just amazing ... isn't that amazing that there is so much space in the 17".

I guess, if they cannot go to the PPC970 soon, this would be the only way to have a "year of the laptop".
  • Reply 6 of 14
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

All it would take to get me to update is a little bit of improvement in the current 12" AlBook: Add a DVI port, add L3 cache, boost the speed and extend the battery life a little by using the 7457 version of the G4, and I'm there.

Nice poll, even though it omits the 12-inch PowerBook completely. \

I share shetline's concerns. My iBook/500/CD/576 does everything I really need it to do (with an external HDD and an external CD-RW). What I'm waiting for is a good feature bump on the 12-inch PowerBook. In an ideal world, I would want a 12-inch PowerBook with 1Ghz+ PPC7457 processor, 1GB max RAM (2x 512MB chips, NOT a 128 built-in and a ludicrously priced 1GB chip), DVI-out, and hopefully some L3 cache.

Realistically, I'll probably buy whatever Apple decides to ship as a Rev.B PowerBook.

Escher
  • Reply 7 of 14
    bnoyhtuawbbnoyhtuawb Posts: 456member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

Nice poll, even though it omits the 12-inch PowerBook completely. \

You are right ... and I apologize -- sort of ...

I originally wanted to start a poll only for the 15" PowerBook upgrade, which I think is what we all wait for (the 'Book and not the poll ). This is long overdue ... never ever considered the 12" (I'd buy a 900 iBook anytime instead of that little frying pan).
  • Reply 8 of 14
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

Realistically, I'll probably buy whatever Apple decides to ship as a Rev.B PowerBook.

If I hadn't bought a new PowerBook so recently before the 12" AlBook came out, I'd have bought the Rev. A. I really like my 15" 800 MHz TiBook, but having handled the 12" AlBook at the Apple Store, I know I'm going to love having that extra portability and the more rugged feel of the machine.

I'm also looking forward to better the AirPort reception that the new PowerBooks are supposed to have since my current TiBook gets very flaky reception just moving around short distances within my house. Your iBook (if you use Airport) is probably already better than my TiBook in that regard.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    zapchudzapchud Posts: 844member
    Since my wallet currently restricts me to having only one mac, (desktop or laptop), and the dual gig I already have is slow as #/%# (really), I'm needing alot more to trigger my reflexes... hopefully, I'll be relieved of that restriction next year, and grab a li'l 15" G5 powerbook
  • Reply 10 of 14
    pscatespscates Posts: 5,847member
    Here's my deal:

1. I want a laptop

2. I want a G4

3. I have to get a PowerBook

4. I'd rather have an iBook

5. I won't buy a current 15" PowerBook because I think the 12" and 17" design/features are superior

6. I'm quite certain a 15" based on said design/features is on the way

7. I'm not nuts about paying $1999-2599 for a computer...would be a first

8. I'd LOVE to get a 12" PowerBook

9. But 12" PowerBook has no DVI or L3 cache and this is going to be my sole machine, for a good couple of years...

10. A G4 iBook would solve all this (I don't mind the lack of DVI and cache on an iBook because you don't EXPECT it on there, you know?)

11. I'm nearly sick of the whole damn process.

I think I'll see what happens in the next few weeks or months, then buy that cool Etch-A-Sketch I saw at Toys-R-Us the other day. I'll rig up an AirPort set-up to it and call it done.

• Reply 11 of 14
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    I'm trying to hold out for a 15" powerbook G5- my iBook 500 is suiting me just fine for now I guess.

Although the new dual 2GHz G5 is lookin' really nice!
  • Reply 12 of 14
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    here's what i want

15" thin and light

new architecture that won't be obsolete in 2 years

faster superdrive

speed--efficient 1.25+ g4+ or 1.2 g5

wide aspect screen for dvd's

large hard drives up to 60gb

FW 800/fw 400/ usb 2.0

6 hour real life battery

If they speed bump a g4 you know the newer chips come out in at least 6 monhts and it will feel like an old car.

I'll wait for new future oriented architechture
  • Reply 13 of 14
    peharripeharri Posts: 169member
    I'd like a 12" with a higher resolution screen (and maybe wider at the expensive of higher) - 1024x768 really isn't a good way to see OS X at its best, and wide screen is great for a laptop.

But really, above all else, I want a nipple. Yeah, I know, true Apple users don't like them. Well I do. It'd at least be nice for Apple to allow you to remove the keyboard and replace with some alternatives: they could make a two mouse button version, a nipple with three mice buttons, etc.

It might even make them some money - I mean, they could charge $100 for the alternative keyboards without anyone considering it expensive, and I bet they'd cost 5% of that to build.

Oh and processor speed - as far as I'm concerned, if it's fast enough to play a DVD without stuttering, it's fast enough. As far as I'm aware, that pretty much applies to Apple's entire range at the moment.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    ompusompus Posts: 163member
    The current 1 Ghz G4 draws 15 watts. see this PDF, pg 15 The 1.25 ghz g4 draws 30 watts.see this PDF, pg 3. That's too much juice.

Breaking the 1 Ghz barrier will have to wait until the 7457 which draws 7.5 watts at 1 Ghz, 15.4 watts at 1.2 ghz and 16.6 watts at 1.3 Ghz. See pg 5 of this pdf.

Because only the 7457 can realistically bring speeds above 1 Ghz to the Powerbook, and because the 7457 doesn't come in a 1.25 Ghz version... There will never be a 1.25 Ghz powerbook.