OS X performance on a Graphite G4

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Are there any design professionals out there who are using the graphite G4s with OS X? I know that it is possible to run OS X on them, but I am wondering about performance hits. I would like to upgrade all of the computers where I work to be using OS X, Jag or Panther, depending on when the money comes through, but I don't want to do it if it will cause that machine to run even slower than it already does.

The machine in question is a 500MHz G4, running Mac OS 9.2.2 with 1 GB of RAM (PC100).

It biggies that it runs on a daily basis are Photoshop, Illustrator, and Quark. And a performance hit in these apps is unacceptable...

Anyone out there with any insight?

Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    are you prepared to buy new X-native software for each of the apps?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    stroszekstroszek Posts: 801member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

are you prepared to buy new X-native software for each of the apps?

Well, we're alreday running Photoshop 7 and Illustrator 10 on it, so Quark is all we would have to buy. Only one of the apps reguarly used isn't available for OS X: Bar Code Pro by SNX. It's only use it for short periods, so running it in Classic shouldn't be a huge hassle.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    if speed is paramount... I would wait for panther...

but the real benefit to X is not having to worry about crashes and multitasking...
  • Reply 4 of 4
    th0rth0r Posts: 78member
    I've been running 10 on three different Graphite G4s for about a year.

G4/450 Sawtooth (All SCSI) 1GB RAM

G4/500 512MB RAM

G4/533 512MB RAM

All of them run fine.

Photoshop 7 - I run OS X native with no probs, but I've heard that performance is fine in Classic. My pshop files are rarely over 50MB or so...ymmv.

Illustrator 8 and 9 - Run surprisingly well in Classic. I've heard that there may be a performance hit/bugginess running Illus 10 in OS X

(Quark is not installed on any of them)

Bar code software <-- Don't know if it's any good.